Achilles Rupture for the Second Time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All-

New to the site. I came across in my search for some comfort while in recovery.

About Me

I'm 42 years old and a fairly active individual. On March 27 (roughly 2 1/2 weeks ago) I ruptured my left achilles while playing in my regular pickup basketball league.

This is the second time I've completely ruptured an achilles tendon. 13 years ago, I ruptured the achilles tendon in my right foot while playing flag football. I had surgery back then as well. It ultimately went well, and I was able to resume an active lifestyle.

This time around I think I may have to be more cautious. Although I can't imagine having a third rupture, you never know. I have a baby on the way in August, and I'm on my feet a lot for work. Needless to say this has been a pain in my rear. I am an attorney and I work for a small practice. I am the one that usually goes to court, so this has placed a strain at work.

Anyway, I had surgery 8 days ago. I was in a splint post-op. Today I went in for my first check-up. The doc said that everything looked good. So they put me in a cast and raised my foot up a bit (from I'm guessing 33 degrees up to 45).

I go back in a week. At that point they're going to try to get my foot to 90. And then I'll be in a cast for another two weeks. And then a walking boot.

My memory is a bit foggy, but the procedure seems a bit different from before. I don't know if it's just methods changing over time, or just a different doctor.

Is anyone else under the same, or similar treatment? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

The procedure is a bit different from what I had done. I tore my Achilles back in December and had surgery 2 weeks after, I was placed in a splint after surgery for 2 weeks then had a follow up appointment where the splint was removed along with my stitches and I was given a walking boot. I started physical therapy a few weeks after and have been progressing since. It's been almost 3.5 months since surgery and I just started running again, not at full speed or stride, but jogging at a good pace to get a workout.

• Posted

Wow! So that's a pretty quick recovery. Makes me hopeful. Obviously no two injuries are alike. But that's encouraging that you're running so soon.

• Posted

Hello LawDogg,

Sorry to hear about your injury. I am about 8 months post op. Like you, injury (at cross fit) rupture, 4 days later in surgery for a minimally invasive surgery.  I spent about a week in a splint, then about 7 weeks in a boot with no weight bearing. After 7, we removed one of the lifts each of the next weeks and each week increased load bearing 25% each week.

Physical therapy started as soon as I was in the boot, and I went to the gym most days and did what I could that did not involve weight bearing.

Now, PT is complete. Biggiest issue is some strength deficit in injured foot (heel raises, e.g.) despite working out the best I could. Nevertheless, I am back to almost all of my previous activities including downhill skiing--season is nearly at an end in Colorado.

Good luck with your recovery. This injury really stinks and it takes quite a while to fully recover.   

• Posted

Similar procedure as ARjr89. Splint 17 days sutures removed and back in boot for about 4 weeks. Started therapy exactly 3 weeks after surgery 2x a week for about 2-3 months just started running and plan on playing softball which is how I got injured in August. All good so far but at soon to be 49 have to restrict myself. Listen to your body is all I would suggest. Goodluck.
    • Posted

"Listen to your body." Amen! Good luck with the recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.