Achilles rupture no surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles 3 weeks ago and I'm currently in a boot with wedges in the heel (no surgery). I am having a great deal of calf pain when I firs out my leg down to move around on my crutches. It's a burning pain that settles after a while.  Is this normal?  My calf is also very tender to touch .  Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I did mine 5 weeks ago. Straight in plaster so no idea what's happening really but I did comment to dr when it first happened that the pain was in the calf even though tear above heel.  He implied that is to be expected. 

• Posted

Hi Sue 

I'm into week 4 of my rupture. Non surgery , in plaster for a week , now VacOPed boot with ballerina toe for 7 weeks until next appointment with the consultant. Could you give an update on anything that you have encountered or might think may be helpful to another fellow sufferer. Thanks a lot . Den

• Posted

Is your calf red or warm as well? And does pain sease after you rest or sit down? If that is so, see your Dr and make sure it isn't a blood clot.

It's typical to have calf pain though after your repair(the Achilles attaches to your gastric/calf). But I always like to rule out DVT with my patients. Make sure you get PT, they will help you keep an eye on it, massage tight musculature, help you stick to your protocol and prescribe you exercises that are appropriate for your protocol.

Best of luck!

Physical Therapist Assistant in Arizona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.