Achilles Rupture - Non Surgical - Pain after 8 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks. I fully ruptured my Achilles Tendon 8 weeks ago. Have had no surgery. Was in a cast for 5 weeks in the fully equinus position. Just over two weeks ago, i got moved into moon boot and removed a wedge 1 week ago - so I am in a semi equinus position. Since boot has been on i have been doing tentative weight bearing with use of crutches. I am worried I am not weight bearing enough. Until now i have had no scan. Orthapedic spent little time with me to be honest. The main reason i am posting is to ask about experiences of pain. I have just tonight been getting a sharp shooting pain on the tendon....even when sitting still. Since i have had no scan to confirm tendon is knitting together....i am worried the pain indicates the tendon is not healing. Has anyone else had this type of pain at this stage?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey micheal sorry to hear your pain. I’m sure it is fairly normal to have shooting pains it’s probably just nerves I wouldn’t worry too much. I’m on week 11 and in walker boot with no wedges. I had surgical procedure and having issues with the wound nipping together at the very bottom however there’s no infection so that’s positive. I’ve learnt from this experience that it’s such a slow healer and have had fairly frequent twitches and pains in my calf. They don’t usually give out ultrasound afterwards however if your problem persists in say 4/5 weeks when it should be well on its way then maybe go back and see your doctor I’m sure he will then refer you for an ultrasound to put your mind at ease 👌🏻 Fingers crossed for you hope your recovery goes well

• Posted

Thanks Joseph. Sounds like you are making progress. How quickly were you weight bearing? I am really surprised at the difference in rehab approaches people experience. Surgery just wasnt on the table for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.