Achilles Rupture...Post Operation...

Posted , 4 users are following.

my name is Patrick I ruptured my Achilles November 20th 2016... I had my Surgery December 2nd 2016.... I was in a Half cast for about 11 days then i was put into a Big Boot its almost like having a Cinder block strapped to my Foot haha.. I am just now 4 days past a full month since my surgery... Today(january 4th 2017) i was given clearence to put weight on my foot but its okward with this boot on.. My wound has healed great, i still have some swelling and alot of bruising.. The worse part is the tinkling and numbness in the foot it keeps me from sleeping at night thats about the only thing that is bothering me alot.. I started this thread to get as much info as possible from others who have gone through this tough injury and what to expect... Im hoping to get back to form im 32 and i play alot of football and run im very active just hoping to get back to my previous self..  Any info I will be glad to hear.. Thanks!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Patrick,

I ruptured my achilles on 29 July, 2016, had minimally invasive surgery on 3 August. I was in a stiff splint for about a week, then a boot with some lifts that elevated my heel. First couple weeks were tough--not because of pain, but because it was awkward to get around until I could do full weight bearing about week 7 or so.

Wound heeled well, but swelling persisted and I had to get some shoes a 1/2 a 1 size larger than I normally wear. Now I am getting back into some of my regular shoes that do not rub against back of heel and irritate it.

The swelling and tingling around the ankle, at the heel and along the outside of the foot and small toes seems to be very common and normal. Most beleive it is related to the swelling which takes quite a while to resolve completely (20 weeks post op my swelling is almost gone--still a couple puffy spots at the heel).

Some things that worked for me:

Ice the anlke regularly--helps swelling

Physical therapy 2x per week or more if you can get it

Do the exercises!

Tylenol (I am NOT a doctor!) at night helped a little with the swelling and facilitated sleep early on

Get back to the gym--even with boot. You can get on stationary bike to keep aerobic fitness up.

Swellling and weakness will persist for quite a while, but strength should return

Tingling and numbness will slowly resolve itself and become less bothersome

I am almost back to normal activities; calf/foot weakness are the obstacles at this point. I have quite a few years on you--67, but am still quite active (ruptured achilles at cross fit). Like to ski, hike, and mountain bike; I expect to be back on slopes yet this season--today is a powder day and I am at work watching it snow.

No doubt about it: this injury really stinks, but I think it is smart to get the surgery and reduce risk of re-rupture which is much more complicated to fix.

Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Biggest surprise to me was how quickly calf and foot muscles atrophied. That is my biggest issue at this point and the focus of PT and workouts

• Posted

thanks for the advice Rob.. cant wait to get through this and to the point i can start working out.. I called my Doctor and he said the tinkling etc is from swelling and its normal... Im hoping that can go away soon as well.. As for walking in my boot its not going so great.. its just awkward with the way my foot is angled in my boot but ill keep working at it..Im gonna ask as well about riding a bike that would be great if i could do that.. Im hoping to be out of this boot by march at the latest..
  • Posted

Hi Patrick, I have also gone through the same thing as you. Just like yourself i play alot of football and im only 26, went through all of this when i was 24. Check my story i've wrote, i did it from start to finish. first time stepping into the moon boot was really hard work, you get used to it. Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

thanks man.. and yes trying to walk in this boot is rediculous.. but ill keep working at it... since you are 2 years out do you feel any lingering affects when you run or anything? How long was it until you were cleared to run?
    • Posted

It is, i remember feeling, this will never get any easier its a joke to walk in this thing. I even got a lot of back pain at the start, just because of the way i was walking.

I had the surgery October 2014, 2 years+ down the line, i'm playing football again and i've got the wolf run / tough mudder booked later in the year, so phyically its fine and its stronger than ever. between getting the boot off and 3 months i was constantly streching / doing excerises that you'll be given, later down the line. between 3-6 months period, back in the gym doing very light squat training & running. I started playing football again around the 12 months mark and had no problem. I reckon i could of got back sooner, however i was nervous i would re-do the damage.

Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hi Patrick, I am almost 4 weeks into my recovery and are also looking for advice and tips.  I just wanted to say, I really wish the best for you and hope you have a speedy recovery.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.