Achilles tendinopathy - exercises

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I suddenly developed quite severe unilateral achilles pain when walking three months ago, having had moderate transient pain in both achilles previously.

I thought it would go away as it had done before, so I left it as there's no swelling or sign of tear. But it didn't and walking was still difficult so I eventually went to my GP to see what could be done. It had started to improve but it's gone on for several months so I wanted to help it along. Went to physio this week and was given some fairly gentle exercises. But since starting the exercises, the pain has got worse again. Am I making it worse with the stretching? I'm pretty sure it's not torn, but the pain can be quite severe and now my heel hurts at night, which it didn't before. Any ideas?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was looking at your other post re PsA.

I wonder whether you have thought of Sjogren's Syndrome?

https://patient.info/doctor/sjogrens-syndrome-pro

I was told years ago, that I had Sjogren's & that was based on my dry eyes, things have progressed a lot recently & I recognise the pains you mention.  I have had blood tests which have come up positive.  All I can take for the pain, is Paracetamol & I also take Co-Dydramol, which is also Paracetamol with Dihydrocodeine which I tend to take at night because it knocks me out!  It is addictive. 

I am waiting to see a Rheumatologist.  Are you under a Rheumatologist, if so, you should suggest Sjogren's.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I am under a rheumatologist, yes. Since my symptoms started I have considered lots of possibilities - including Sjogren's. My optometrist said I have dry eyes and I do have very dry skin - dry everything really. But my ANA test was negative. 

I understand why it takes a long time to be diagnosed, but I also think my rheumatologist was particularly bad. I have ditched her now.

?I think as my symptoms have progressed, it's starting to fit more of a recognisable pattern but there's always a question mark. It's curious that I had such a good response to hydroxychloroquine but sulfasalazine has been a bit... meh. But I know everyone has different experiences. Is there anything particularly that makes you think of Sjogren's?

• Posted

It was the Achilles pain.  I have that in one ankle & when it first started I had no idea why I had it.  I already take Prednisolone & don't want to increase the dose, so I am down to taking Paracetamol alternating with Co-Dydramol, which has paracetamol in it but they do help.

I am waiting to see a Rheumatologist.  I am also under other Consultants & a junior doctor wondered whether I had Behçet's Disease which is similar but I don't think I do but maybe you should look at that too.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.