Achilles Tendon Full Rupture with Surgery

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am 37 yrs old and rupture my Achilles Tendon on 6/23. I had surgery on 7/7 and just completed my 2-week post op appointment on yesterday where I got my stitches out. I was told that a can do partial weight bearing with my boot and crutches. When I go back in two weeks, he said it will be FWB and start Physio. I been working from home since this happened as it was done to my right leg. Can anyone share their progress, best practices learned, and where you are in your recovery. I plan to keep this blog for a full year and document my recovery.

I was very active before the AT injury. I would go to the gym at least 6 days a week and did weight lifting. My surgery went fairly well although I had to stay overnight as I couldn't breathe due to be under. I got two numbing shots that kept my lower leg number for 2 full days. I was off my medication by the third day and was wiggling my toes in a splint on the third day. I went to church on the 4th day and did fine.

After surgery, when I stood the blood would rush to the surgery site and throb, but I haven't had any swelling yet.

My kids been taking me around and it's been great. However, they start school in 1 more week. Then I have my 4 week appointment that Friday. Hoping, I can start driving and go back to work then.

Please share your experience

1 like, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My doctor told me that I didn't have to wear my boot to bed, but so scared of hurting it. Can anyone tell me how they got around this? Did you sleep with it propped up? My daughter still sleeps with me and my husband and she sleeps pretty wild. Any thoughts?

• Posted

I slept with my leg propped up. Maybe you can sleep a little lower in the bed and she can sleep higher if possible. Or you can get a little cot, that's what my granddaughter has and she loves it. It's a good in-between set up. Good luck! Try a heavy compression sock when your leg is healed enough to get one on...I love it at 5 mos out from ORIF. 

• Posted

I went to the doctor on yesterday, 4 week post op. He told me to ditch the crutches as soon as I could so I did. I must say that the last 2 weeks consisted of getting partial weight bearing in cam boot with crutches down the first week. Full weight bearing in cam boot with crutches down the second week. Now, I am full weight bearing in cam boot with no crutches and only one heel lift. It feels great! My wound is completely healed and it doesn't look like I even had surgery. The doctor was pleased and told me to keep doing whatever I am doing. He also said the tendon is then which is good as it means that it is closer to what the tendon should be. The thicker the tendon the harder to move.

My physical therapy won't start till 6 week post op (2 more weeks), but he did give me some things I can do in the interim 3 times a day. I believe you must be aggressive in your recovery. You know your body the best. Let pain be your guide. I also ice my leg ever night (about 45 minutes) and elevate it. Not that it hurts, but just as caution.

Additionally, the best news to report is that I learned how to drive with my left leg! No more relying on people to take me anywhere. Things are definitely looking up for me!

Stay encourage and ask your doctor all the questions that you can think about. That's what they are there for. Take control over your own healing process and don't be afraid to disagree respectfully and ask for alternatives. I have and it's been working well for me.

My goal is to be in two shoes by 8 weeks and walking.

• Posted

I've been reading through this discussion and it's been very helpful. Thank you to all for sharing your stories.

I ruptured mine (85% tear) playing basketball. Had surgery three days later and I'm about to hit the six week mark post surgery.

I was put into a cast and told absolutely NWB for three weeks. Then I moved to a removable air cast boot.. where I've been putting occasional light weight on my achilles with crutches and doing light ankle movements each day.

I was told heal lifts weren't necesarry -- has anyone else gone PWB or FWB in an airboot without lifts? I've also read a lot about having the foot being adjusted into different possitions each week. I've only had two positions -- one in the cast and one in the air boot.  Is this normal? 

I haven't experienced too much discomfort, swelling or pain over the past few weeks. Seeing the doctor in two days, where I hope I'll get the go-ahead to start PT and potentially ditch the crutches. I'm hoping to be out of the boot in the next two - three weeks (weeks 8 and 9), but not sure if that's just wishful thinking. My doctor seems to be taking a moderately agressive approach (which I like) but he's a little wishy-washy on what the best strategy is. 

• Posted

Gah,

The heel lifts was required for me; however, I slowly decreased mine every week myself since week 1. As of today, I removed my last heel lift. I believe it's to help eliminate too much stress on the Achilles. If you didn't start when you went in the air boot, then it makes sense not to put you in them. I am with you too as my goal is to be walking in two shoes by 8 weeks! I am working towards accomplishing this task.

Hopefully, PT is in arm reach for you. Please post how your appt goes. It seems like you are a little less than 2 weeks ahead of me.

• Posted

Thanks for such a quick response. That seems to be the experience of most people -- that they use heel lifts -- which is why I've always questioned why my doctor didn't make me do the same.

Good for you in ditching the crutches for the PWB so early. I'm still using both... mostly because I'm not sure what the limit was (doctor never really clarified). You also mentioned it looks like you didn't even have surgery -- did you do anythign specific for the scar?  

All that said I do feel pretty good. Will let everyone know how the appointment goes... it's on Thursday. 

Greg

Greg

• Posted

Six week appointment update (today). Surgeon said everything was looking strong. Got the go-ahead to start PT and start putting more weight on my achillees. Doc said for this week to walk with one crutch and then try to ditch the crutches entirely a week later. He said 8 weeks was the total time to heal, and once I hit that (two weeks from now) I can try sneakers again.
    • Posted

Yayyyyyy! That's awesome. Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Please keep me posted on your progress. I ditched my crutches last week, but can't start PT until next week. Please share what exercises they provide and how often. I am curious would it be similar. How exciting! You are on your way now...

• Posted

I got my first PT appointment on Tuesday at 10:45 and I am so excited! I have started taking the boot off and walking around the house only. It feels weird, but working on it typically at night before bedtime. I want tone be ready for PT to really start my recovery!
  • Posted

Great to see your recovery is coming along. I'm 2weeks 3 days since surgery. I tore mine the 28july had op the 29th. Had stitches out on the 11th Aug and foot angled slightly next day was a little painful. I am back in 2 weeks to have cast removed and be put into boot with heel lifts. I will wear the boot for 4 weeks. Not sure if I will be able to weight bare until week 8 post op.

The swelling us a pain in the cast. Hate sitting around. My daughter's are so bored and my husband is running around the place

• Posted

Hi Sunflower!

Wow you tore yours a day after my bday! It seems like you are getting along well. Hopefully, you can wiggle your toes as much as possible. That definately help me during my early days after surgery. Try to rest and elevate as much as possible. Please let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

I have been reading about achilles ruptures and surgery and am amazed at how a lot of the repair for that is the same as what is done for a broken ankle. Surgery to put things back together, although with multiple bones breaking in the ankle we often need screws and a plate, stitches, casts, boots, learn to walk again and regain the use of the tendons and ligaments in the injured leg and the need to rebuild the calf muscles. 
    • Posted

I have been reading about achilles ruptures and surgery and am amazed at how a lot of the repair for that is the same as what is done for a broken ankle. Surgery to put things back together, although with multiple bones breaking in the ankle we often need screws and a plate, stitches, casts, boots, learn to walk again and regain the use of the tendons and ligaments in the injured leg and the need to rebuild the calf muscles. 
  • Posted

I had my first Physical Therapy appointment today and my physical therapist was very pleased with my range of motion so far. In fact, he told me I can wear two tennis shoes now. I also drove with my right leg today. It's not at the end of the day and I do feel some swelling at the incision site. I am going to ice it and elevate all night. I have another appointment on Thursday. The exercises consist of rolling a tennis ball under my foot, a wobble board, balancing on one leg, walking forward and backward. He also does a message too. I am so excited. I thought it would be such a long process, but blessed to have gotten the right doctor and therapist!

• Posted

I do have a slight limp. Really not a limp, but he said there is a small delay when I walk like I still want to baby it. He said that will get better as you walk and get more comfortable.
    • Posted

That's great news your well on your way with recovery hopefully I'll be as lucky. I'm sure you'll build confidence walking as you get stronger each day with walking and excerises. What part of the world are you. Amazing how different doctors treat this injury. Can I ask how everyone is sleeping I currently miss sleeping my stomach and lying on my back with legs elevated is killing me.

• Posted

Ugh...sleeping on your back with pillows and legs up in the air! I did it for months. You do get used to it. I heard it is the healthiest way to sleep if that helps. I now can sleep any way again...and sometimes find I end up sleeping on my back. Go figure! I have slept on my side and stomach my whole life before this accident. 
    • Posted

Hi Shunie,

Happy that your recovery is going great. You must have an excellent surgeon and treatment plan. You mentioned lots of things in earlier posts. It would help me if you summarised your case.

1. Did you have a complete rupture achilles ?.

2. What was your treatment plan Operation + X weeks in Cast + Y weeks in boot + physio at week Z (twice a week)

You are now in tennis shoes, good range of motion and walking 

3. Can you walk downstairs properly - I assume yes since you have a good range of motion

My case - now that I m finally in manageable pain - I can do more on my feet and get things moving hopefully.

I can believe that my process is so long - so looks like it be 6 months to 1 year before I am hopefully near to where I was before the injury.

8 weeks in plaster cast

4 weeks in walking boot (heel wedge & extra wedge)

Start physio on week 11

Switch from boot to trainers & crutch on week 14 

Week 16 - post op - limping in trainers – tendon has thickened – scar is very prominent - seeing the surgeon this week.

Emily

• Posted

Thanks all this have been a journey, but one that I decided not to allow to get the best of me. I stayed active (as much as I could) and prayed alot! I am in the US.

1. I had a complete achilles tendon rupture of my right leg on 6/23 while dancing. I went to the ER in they put me in a splinter cast. I was on vacation, so I couldn't see a Podiatrist till 7/1.

2. I had surgery exactly 2 weeks after (7/7). They gave me something for pain and inflammation. I took them both for 3 days only. I really never was in pain. They told me to take them anyways as I had the nerve blocker. I woke up with a splinter cast on. From day 3 (when I got my feeling back) I would wiggle my toes.

3. One week post op, my doctor removed the splinter cast and placed me in a cam boot with 3 heel wedges. He told me to wiggle toes as much as I could. Well, I was doing that anyway.

4. Two week post op, I got stitches removed. I was told that I could now let the wound get wet. Not submerged in water. I had ano appointment for 2 weeks later. During this time, I removed 2 heel wedges and mastered PWB, and driving with my left leg. I started massaging my wound and moving my foot gently.

5. Four week post op, my doctor told me that I could start Physio at week 6 as he was impressed with my progress. He told me to start FWB and ditch the crutches as soon as I could, so I ditched them that day. He gave me some small ROM exercises to do 3 times a day. I started taking my boot off at home in my room and walking around in week 5. I let pain be my guide. If it hurt, I would stop and give myself a couple of days.

I started Physio 5 weeks and 4 days. When I got there, he was so amazed how I was able to move. Therefore, he pit me in tennis shoes. He said I truly was in week 3 of Physio although it was my first day. I was given exercises to do 3 times a day and I faithfully do them.

My tendon is still healing, so I have to be gentle with exercises and walk slowly. I can go down the stairs like a baby. One step and then the next. I can go up the stairs regularly.

I am driving with my right leg now and I am going to work today for a couple of hours. I will let you know how I get on.

Everyone heels differently. How active you was before the injury plays a role too.

I am 5'5 and weigh 125. I was very active in the gym and danced.

• Posted

Hi Shunie- thank you so much for the quick reply and full details. I'm going to use pain as my guide. Pain has shifted and reduced so I can be more active on my legs.

• Posted

So I had my first two PT appointments this week... a little more than six weeks post surgery.

The PT said I was a good bit ahead of schedule. First day I walked in my boot  without crutches. Then today I took a few small steps without the boot or crutches. My first PT appointment included a few minutes on the bike, some range of motion exersizes (which I've been doing for weeks at home) and some massage/loosening of my ankle and foot.  Going back tomorrow for another round.

For everyone early in the process, the PT said several things that I had been doing were likely working in my favor -- twice daily icing, range of motion exersizes starting early (after three weeks) and the light PWB after three weeks. Not sure if that's the right practice for everyone, but it definitely seems to be working for me.

I'm feeling much better after feeling quite devasted the first few weeks. I'm planning to ditch my last crutch this weekend and hopefully the boot in another week or two. Good luck all.

• Posted

That's brilliant news. I'm planning on icing when I go into the boot next week. I am 3 weeks post injury and op. Like you mentioned devastation when this happened. 3 weeks feel more like 6 weeks. Good luck with your recovery keep us posted

• Posted

Hello gah, thanks for sharing your story. I'm getting more active and feeling the benefits. I'm able to do this as pain and swelling is reducing. We will all get there - just different timings depending on our doctors treatment plan and our own bodies. I was stuck in a cast for 8 weeks - no wonder I'm finding things tougher now. Best wishes

• Posted

It's so weird how they treat everyone different. I had surgery and then went into a cast and was back to weeks later for stitches to be removed. Next week I'll be 4 weeks post op and going into a boot with heel risers and reducing a rise per week.

• Posted

Hi Sunflower - yes the guys in the plaster room told me various surgeons use different recovery paths. I researched lots and it seems in uk some surgeon's are overly conservative. I didn't know better than but now I do. I'm going to keep trying and get better despite everything. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.