Achilles Tendon Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fell of my bike and injured both Achilles Tendons I have been to th hospital and had three x-rays on each leg and confirmed no breaks but as I live in Spain they didnt really explain what I had done but they seemed to indicate I had torn both achilles.

I saw my local doctor who prescribed strong anti inflammatory tablest but it is now five weeks and there is very little progress, i cannot do toe lifts without support although I can move my feet backwards and forwards and circlular motion with them both, however I am still able to walk but flat footed and both ankles seem to be swollen.

I keep my legs raised as often as possible but if I sit normally for any length of time my ankles swell up along with my feet.

Should I return to my Doctor (I have to get a translator) or am I just being inpatient for progress?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Tony, try compression socks (gradual compression socks ) that might keep your achilles and reduce the pain, as well as night splint when you are in bed to keep the feet at 90 degrees. You also have to do light calf stretches 2 times a day and hold each stretch for 20 to 25 sec. There are many youtube videos that might be useful for you to check for Achilles tendonitis. Put ice a few times a day on swollen ankles, get rid of anti inflammatory pills - they can even make the things worse and prevent body's natural healing response. It is just a bandaid,not cure.

• Posted

Hi Tony! I ruptured both of my Achilles tendons at the same! Long story! But I had an MRI on both sides to confirm I ruptured both. Cause my doctor said that they can't tell by an x-ray. Since then I've had surgery on each side 5 weeks apart. Doing way better now but I have been in a boot on both sides for 10 weeks after my splint for 2 weeks after surgery! But before surgery I did walk flat footed on both sides and not a lot of muscle control from my calf down but I was in no pain! I would go back to your doctor or get a second opinion. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

Yes am going back next week (earliest appointment with a translator) My worry is the pain is minimal but the swelling at the back of the achilles are both still very swollen, and I used to have such slim ankles.

I can stand on tip toes with support and now can managed to do this in both legs individually all be it the left not as good as the right but always very gently when trying and with support.

I am following easy stretching exercises and keeping my feet raised as much as possible and at least the swelling in both feet has returned to normal but yes back to the Doctors

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.