Achilles tendon injury?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, looking for some advice/guidance. Yesterday I was sitting down, stood up to go and walk into another room and after a couple of steps felt a pop/snap at the back of my foot. The pain that followed was instant and severe, I was unable to put my foot down and walk for the next 2 hours while the pain was even worse when I tried to walk and lifted the injured foot off the floor. I took painkillers and bandaged the area to provide it with support and the pain eased dramatically, to the point now where I can walk comfortably almost as normal. I looked into this when it happened and thought it may be a ruptured achilles tendon but the fact the pain has eased so quickly makes me doubt this. There also doesnt appear to be any swelling around the area. Any ideas what this could be? I defintely felt a something pop or snap and was in real pain for a few hours but now hardly anything?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

David,

I walked with Achilles rupture for two days. foot was turned to side and had some pain, but not excruciating. I was hoping it was not an Achilles rupture and thought whatever it was I would walk it off. People even told me it was not a rupture because I could walk.  

I did have some selling the next evening and thought I better have doc check it out.  Doc did two tests to confirm ruptured achilles. First one is called Thompson test. While I was sitting he squeezed my calf muscle to see if my foot would move down slightly. If it does not, that suggests achilles rupture, Second one was to ask me to stand facing wall (hands on wall for support) and do heel raise on foot in question. THAT hurt, and I could not manage to raise it even slightly. When I had a negative Thompson test (there may be pictures at You Tube or Google), and I could not manage a heel raise, he confirmed the diagnosis of Achilles rupture. 

I had surgery the next day and am making progress toward full recovery.

I am NOT a doctor. Maybe you got a sprain or something else. I recommend you get to a Doc to confirm or disconfirm the diagnosis.

Whatever your injury, I hope it is not an Achilles rupture, and hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

• Posted

Hi all, just an update for you. I went to my local walk in centre and after waiting 2 hours to be seen by a GP was told it could be a partial tear or just a soft tissue injury. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, and seemed to base their judgement on how I walked into the room. Anyway if it isn't a rupture which it appears not to be then it can only be good knows. Difficult not knowing what it is though, I have had an achilles injury before on my other foot which was as a result of an impact injury in football. I never got it checked, kept playing even when I knew I wasn't 100% and it still troubles me now. Thanks for all your advice!

• Posted

Thanks for the update, David. Hope it all works out OK. This is a pesky injury that takes a while to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.