Achilles’ tendon op

Posted , 2 users are following.

So pleased I found this forum!!!! I was so worried that my continuing “niggles” weren’t normal.  Feeling much happier now. I too had operation (in October) cast and boot followed. Now walking without anything and actually dared to drive yesterday. Great sense of freedom!! Have been to physio for last few weeks and religiously doing my stretching exercises but not leg raises yet.  Still have occasional shooting pains and ankle very swollen by end of day despite me keeping leg raised when sitting down.  Hope this will eventually get better or won’t be wearing normal shoes again. Any tips would be very welcome though! Hope this forum is still open!! ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marcia

I ruptured mine and had an op in April 2016 so know exactly what it is like. A few things that really helped me.

- self message helped so much.  Warm some oil and work your foot, ankle Achilles and calf. Start with you foot and be very gentle around Achilles. When you in front of tv you can just relax and do it with a towel underneath

- leg raises are great and you can do this whilst watching tv or in bed

- get yourself a ‘balance board’ you can buy them online cheap and they are very good to aid your balance and strength

- following the Physios tip is absolutely key and you must keep doing the excercises as it will make all the difference.

Good luck with the recovery! The key thing is patience but you will get there. Just do not rush anything!! 

• Posted

Hi Sks. Great to hear from you and have just ordered a balance board so fingers crossed I don’t fall off it first time out lol. Did my 5 min cycle today and few other exercises as shown by physio.  Definitely a slow process and now with the extra job of loosing weight again....... Never mind could be a lot worse.  Are you fighting fit now? Does it still swell up or cause pain? Have read can take a year. Oh, Happy New Year by the way! 👣

• Posted

Thanks Happy New Year!!

Hmm not not quite fighting fit but really need to start running etc. In the cold it does get quite stiff and some morning you can definitely still feel it..... however I don’t think I’ve done exercises as I should have hence why I so strongly suggest you do a lot of exercise (once it’s fully healed that is).

Not much swelling now but the Achilles is still much thicker compared to the good one due to scar tissue so even now it requires strectching/massage etc.

Great you ordered the balance board.... speak to your Physio before you start using it and they will give you some tips I’m sure, but it’s really good for balance and getting you closer on your toes. Definitely a good investment!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.