Achilles Tendon Repair

Posted , 1 user is following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon working out on 12/20/2020. I had it surgically repaired on 12/24/2020. I am a former collegiate athlete and sadly have had experience with several surgical procedures (right knee reconstruction and several subsequent scopes, spinal fusion, and 3 c-sections). I have a high pain tolerance, typically am a "fast" healer, and can be a bit impatient 😃. With this injury and recovery I understand patience is the name of the game. After surgery I was put in a half cast that held my foot in the pointed position (I believe approximately 30 degrees). My follow up is on 1/6/2021. I was given a walking boot for that appointment and was told that the cast will be removed and I will start to transition to weight bearing and move away from tools (walker, crutches, knee rover). On last Monday, 12/28/2020 I got water in my cast during my shower. I went to my Ortho office and the PA changed my cast. I also briefly spoke to the surgeon. Both were very optimistic with how well things were going (little swelling, bruising, and off all pain meds). Today (1/2/2021) I got water in my cast again (ugh). I did order the waterproof shower boot, but it was on back order with Amazon. I used Press & Seal and a garbage bag, but apparently the angle of our shower and the bench I am using is a bad combo. I am also having a ton of itching and the cast was very loose. I cannot get into the Ortho office until Monday. I took off the half cast. I currently have my leg in an ace bandage and my walking boot with lifts. I am also continuing to be non weight bearing. The boot feels great. I do feel a little more pressure on my Achilles as I believe with lifts the angle is slightly "flatter" than the cast. Probably closer to 20 degrees. My question is does anyone know if this will cause any harm to the repaired tendon? Do I need to call my Ortho's emergency line/go to Ortho urgent care or am I fine to just wait to call them Monday morning. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I also had my husband put some cotton and a bandage over my incision to ensure it stays clean and dry.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.