Achilles Tendon Repair/Bone Spur Removal

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi! I'm a 60 year old female. I had a partial rupture of my Achilles due to a huge bone spur pretty much shredding the Achilles. I went through all non-surgical procedures for approximately 6 months at which point my Doctor told me I had no other option other than surgery. Four weeks ago yesterday, I had the surgery to remove or shave bone spur and to repair Achilles. I now have two screws, and wire on both sides of the Achilles from above the surgery site on the Achilles attaching at the heel bone. Up until today, I have had virtually no pain from the surgery. Before surgery on a 1-10 scale of pain, it was at 20. After surgery, I was placed in a soft cast, NWB. A week later, this was replaced with a soft gauze wrap and ace bandage. The stitches remained and I was placed on an antibiotic though my Doctor said everything was looking good considering how much had to be done to the tendon, still NWB. I went back today, 2 weeks later expecting to get the stitches removed. Now for the last 2 weeks, I have done everything the Doctor told me to do. Today when the gauze was removed I had some fairly fresh bleeding which I did not have yesterday. I have not fallen, twisted, none virtually anything they would have caused this. Although, he was not that concerned about the bleeding. What had him concerned was when he tried to remove the stitches, it hurt so bad that I almost jumped off the table. Super sensitive at the incision site. He, then, decided that the stitches needed to to remain another 2 weeks, and still NWB. Since my appt today I have been in an enormous amount of pain for the first time since the surgery. He, also, changed my antibiotics.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the sensitivity that I am at the incision site at 4 weeks post-op and that it does appear to be healing as it should. Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Update: Stitches were finally removed yesterday, 4/27. Still NWB, he has now put me in a Coreline Night Splint to wear during the day and night if possible. Wasn't too bad yesterday but was beginning to have pain. Didn't wear it last night. Put it back on today, the pain after an hour was beyond horrible; although, icing helped. I wear a size 7 shoe so according to the size graph, I should be in a small. He put me in a large ( both myself and my son told him it was too big, but he insisted that it would be alright)

It is very bulky and hard to get velcro tight enough so that my foot doesn't move constantly on it

Shouldn't I be in a small and if I continue to try to wear this splint, will it damage my healing Achilles tendon? I am not suppose to go back for 3 weeks.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.