Achilles tendon repair surgery...how long did you wait to return to work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering what the average time is for returning to work after an Achilles tendon repair surgery? If you've had this surgery, when did you return to work? How did it go?

I have a partial rupture and am having (open, not minimally invasive) surgery on it next week. I have to return to work two days later. The doctor said 4-6 weeks with a 2 week absolute minimum return to work time. The problem is, I have to return to work TWO DAYS after surgery. Surgery is on a Wednesday and I have to return by Friday.  I really absolutely do not have a choice (I am the only one at my place of employment who can do my job and, on top of that, not only does my employer not offer time off, vacation or sick leave (literally have had one day off of work since 2015 and I had to work 12 hours of overtime the week before and call in multiple favors to make it happen), there is no one at my job to fill in for me; one employee is on vacation and another just had major surgery and is out for 6 weeks) and I can't move the surgery date. In addition to that, time away from work will result in lawsuits for the business I work at. Sooo, in addition to surgery, I'm super stressed out about work (as you can probably tell... sorry smile )

My job is 60% seated (desk) and 40% standing and going to various locations to conduct interviews and take photos. For those of you who returned to work earlier than the recommended 4-6 weeks, how did it go? Any advice or tips to keep complications and pain to a minimum? I also have three small children that I take care of on my own. I pretty much plan on using lots of ice packs and eating ibuprofen like it's candy. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, info and advice, everyone! I really appreciate that you took time to reply and share your stories.

On a bright note; I received some AWESOME news at my pre-op appointment today! My doc wants to try an "accelerated rehabilitation approach" with me (I'm an active athlete...when I'm not dealing with a tendon rupture that is...). Anyway, straight after surgery I'll be full weight bearing (same day!) and in a boot. He wants me up and around and stretching (carefully) as much as possible so that I can get back to my normal fitness routine, hiking and climbing as soon as possible. Super. Stoked. biggrin 

One more question: the anesthesia. As I understand it, it will be a "twilight sleep".  I say some REALLY stupid things when coming out of anesthesia... I can't imgaine (nor do I want to) what I'll say when under the influence and *awake* during surgery.  redface Any stories about that? Do you remember anything about it? My past experiences with doctors saying "you won't remember any of this" involve me remembering pretty much *everything*. ~*gulp*~

• Posted

Did not recall a darn thing. Super cool you being in a boot right after suregry goodluck. My foot took 2 days before nerve block wore off in my case.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply about anesthesia! That's reassuring. How are you doing now? If you don't mind me asking, how did you rupture your tendon? (Mine was the result of an adverse reaction to flouroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro) ...apparently the risk is increased in athletes sad ).

• Posted

Sorry meant DMH. .dang auto correct
    • Posted

Ask for a nerve block! It will keep your pain at bay for at least two days! My surgery was done under heavy sedation and I got the nerve block afterwards in recovery.
  • Posted

I had planned on two weeks off after surgery but just couldn't do it! I went back after 3 weeks but only managed 3 out of 5 days on week 4! It's week 5 now and let

Me tell you, it is ROUGH! If your job was difficult before, plan on it being 10 times harder! 3 weeks was really too early to go back! I am going to pray hard for you honey because I understand HAVING to go back to work but IDK how you will do it! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

• Posted

Oh yea, your job has to allow you the time off work until the dr releases you! It's the law!

• Posted

I know that that's what the FMLA, but if I'm not at work, then the newspaper doesn't get out, the company get sued and I lose my job and then my three kiddos and I have no income (not to mention that I don't have any income if I take time off of work for an extended period of time). It's all good. smile

• Posted

***meant to say that I know that's what the FMLA says.  I really with it was possbile to go back and edit posts on here, lol!

• Posted

DMH, just checking to see if you've had your surgery and how it all went for you. Hope you are doing well!

• Posted

Hey there! I'll post an update in just a bit smile Thanks, Donna!

• Posted

Hey, all!

Just an update here. Surgery was this morning. They did a nerve block behind the knee and then ended up doing general anesthesia for the surgery (apparently, the "twilight anesthesia" didn't work, so after an hour of trying to make it work, they decided to just put me under (I'm pretty resistant to most sedatives and pain medication). Anyway, the surgery went well, although there were some unexpected twists and turns other than the torn tendon (they ended up having to restretch the tendon "sheath" and stitch it up, too) and took about two hours.

Before I left the hospital, they told me that the nerve block would wear off in twelve to twenty-four hours. It wore off completely by 4 p.m. The medication that they gave me (Norco) isn't working *at all* so I'm hurting quite a bit at the moment.

On the positive side, I walked out in a boot and am full weight bearing from day one, which makes me really happy. I have to return to work tomorrow and honestly, I feel pretty confident about doing so, so I hope that it goes well.

• Posted

I'd ask for oxycodone. It worked great for me and I even take it at work. That's what my dr sent me home from hospital with. I didn't have to ask for it. I'm like you, I'm super hard to put to sleep and if it's supposed to help you sleep, it wires me up like crazy! So, all pain meds make me not sleep and be very hyper!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.