Achilles Tendon Rupture 5 days post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I ruptured my Achilles' tendon a couple weeks ago and had surgery to repair 5 days ago. Surgeon found my tendon to be pretty damaged once inside. I'm in a half cast and go back for follow up in 9 days for the boot of all goes well. My concern is that I'm having spasms in my injured leg. I'm not sure if it's in calf muscle but it causes entire leg to spasm and it feels as though the Achilles is spazzing as well. It will tighten really quickly then loosen. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Is you spasm more like a cramp?  I recall having a few cramps in my calf but not in the tendon itself.  Remember that you suffered a lot of trauma so it could just be the body reacting.
    • Posted

It was a spasm for sure. It's stopped now for the most part. When I first wake I get a couple but not as severe. Thank you for the response.

• Posted

Hello, kristy,

sorry to hear about your injury. I am not familiar with the spasms you describe. That said, the sural nerve is often irritated as a result of the injury or even the surgery. Many people at this forum have reported sharp, intense, short-lived shooting pains in the back of the heel, ankle, and foot. I don't know if these sensations are related to the spasms you are feeling.  However, these shooters eventually decrease in frequency and disappear. Healing is a very slow process. 

you can ask your doc at your follow up. Perhaps someone else at this forum has experienced leg spasms; it seems there are as many experiences as there are injuries. 

I wish you all the best for a speedy and complete recovery.  

• Posted

Hi Kristy. I have had similar spasms, mostly when I was asleep.  Needless to say they brought me to full wakefulness. My situation: 60% rupture crosswise. No surgery, but was put into an aircast. My first cast only went midway up my calf.  My foot was stabilized and I was able to walk, but I developed brusing aroung my calf where the cast ended, and I was in a fair amount of calf pain. My PT thought I was in the wrong cast.  Went back to the place where I got my first cast and they agreed. They exchanged the cast for one that went up past my calf to just under my knee.  Instant relief on calf pain and the spasms seemed to decline as well.  I still have the odd one, but my PT advised me not to worry about them. She agreed they are unconfortable and painful, but should not cause any damage. Her advice was if I did something that caused pain to stop doing that and wait for a few minutes. If pain goes away, then no injury or damage was caused. It was good advice and has kept me from panicking a few times now.  
  • Posted

Hi Kristy,

I am about 10 days ahead of you in the rupture / recovery process. I was in soft cast for 2 weeks after surgery, and had spasms similar to what you are describing. Whole leg would cramp up once or twice before getting out of bed in the morning. From the hip to the calf down to the toes. 

I started taking vitamin C 2000mg every day as well as vitamin B6 50 mg a day, and the cramping/spasms stopped after a couple of days. Have not had them since. 

Good luck with the recovery. Just get through the 1st two weeks and it gets a lot easier. 

Neil.

• Posted

Thankful for the many responses. This has been an ever changing adventure. I am almost 4 weeks post surgery. Dr made 2 horizontal incisions, one by heel and one farther up my leg. My Achilles was shredded, Dr compared it to spaghetti. It tore pretty close to calf muscle. He had to do some "fancy sewing" and secure my Achilles to me heel with some hardware. After 2 weeks in hard cast, I was put in boot and on crutches. Dr has given me permission to start bearing weight this week as I'm going to be 4 weeks post surgery. Dr wants me in boot for 4 more weeks, making 6 weeks in air boot. I find my heel being super painful after a step. I also have found that I have a large hump (for lack of a better word) where the Achilles was sewn together. It feels much thicker than the other areas. The entire are from heel to calf is just so tender, some areas around my ankle still feel numb. I can pull my toes back to about 90 degrees. It's so tight and pulls. No word on physical therapy yet. Hope everyone is recovering and I'd love to hear about your recoveries and your experiences.

• Posted

Hi Kristy,

I am 3 weeks post sugery. My achilles was just a clean snap, so maybe easier to sew together. I was in soft cast for 2 weeks and now in boot. I am full weight bearing in boot, and have had 2 PT sessions.

1st PT gave me 5 exercises, mainly range of motion. I am doing some strength and extra movement. I was on exercise bike (no resistance) for 25 minutes today. Foot feels really secure in the boot.I have been told bt PT that I will be able to walk in aerobics pool (without boot) next week.

Do you take the boot off a few times a day ?  I find doing this seems to take pressure off the incision, and stitch holes, and lets me stretch and massage.

However our injuries are different, in that a clean mid achilles break probably heals differently to that higher up, near the calf.

Hope you are on the road to recovery,

Neil.

• Posted

I have been taking the boot off a few times per day. I don't go back to see the doctor for another 3 weeks. What I'm finding is that I am swelling so much. Around my ankle and heel the swelling is bad. I get really red around my heel when I walk in the boot. It's pretty uncomfortable. The doctor told me no PT until he sees me again which is another 3 weeks. I'm pretty bummed about that. Do you think my swelling is abnormal?

• Posted

I think our two tears are different. Mine was just a 'pop' and tore in the middle. I think your tear is more complicated, being closer to the calf muscle. I would still be elevating, because swelling is usually a sign of trauma, and is the bodies way to protect itself.

• Posted

Swelling is totally normal.  It took me months to get past the daily swell and it still happens if I'm on my feet a lot.  I'm 6 months post op.  

• Posted

Hi Kristy I am 7 days post op I am 39 and I completely tore my achillies. I have two cut also was told my was shredded so they use a ligament by my upper calf to sew it together. He told me the older you are the tear is usually shredded. Young people usually have clean tear.

I don't have spasm but I'm so uncomfortable can not find a position to elevate my foot. Do anyone have suggestions. Im in a cast and I still have my staples in i have two more weeks till I get out of the cast staples out and in a boot.

How long did you have your staples in?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.