Achilles Tendon Rupture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I had the misfortune of completely rupturing my achilles tendon on 21st June. Was in a back slab plaster cast for 9 days, and have been in full fibreglass cast since my appointment at the fracture clinic last Friday.

I have no idea when I can return to work - I teach and I'm on my feet a lot.

I tried going to work for a half day and it was exhausting.

I'm bored, sitting at home on sofa with nothing to do. I'm unsure how long I should remain sitting and elevate my leg. Is it important to move around on the crutches? 

Any advice welcome

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Evelyn

I done the same over a year ago now and know exactly how you are feeling!!

Unfortunately this is a slow healing injury which cannot be rushed as your seriously put yourself at a risk or re-rupture so literally take one step at a time and do not push yourself. Re your questions-

Leg elevation- for the time you are in a cast I would always try and keep the leg elevated as you are a high risk for DVT with this injury. Even when sleeping elevate on a pillow

Cruches - are hard work but definitely worth walking around with them and keep yourself fit and busy. Maybe set yourself a routine of going for a walk every few hours (starting slow and short and building this up over time). The handles of the crutches can make your hands really sore. I bought some crutch grips. Search 'Awesome Potential Grips' they are excellent!!

Other things that helped me:

Leg raises- whilst lying down on sofa or bed I would do leg raises. This will keep you active and fill in the boredom gap but most importantly keep you mobile and fit

One leg squat with crutches (on good leg!!)start very slow with 3-5 reps and build up and will keep your good leg strong.

Get yourself a small book- this is a great 'me time' and 'think time' write down your plans in life your goals, dreams. You prob won't get this much free time again so make the best of it! I watched a lot of motivational video on you tube too :-) Surprisingly useful!!

Watch films/shows- are you in UK? Get yourself Sky movies and box sets! But be warned and don't spend all day watching it lol

I work in sales and also on my feet all day so went back after 4 months and still limited so it will take time. You just have to be patient and know it will get better and easier but you really just need to persevere.

Wish you the best with your injury!! Any more questions welcome as I know exactly what it's like!!!

Keep strong!! 💪🏽

• Posted

Welcome to the biggest lesson in patience you will probably ever have. I am 14+ weeks post injury. I did not have surgery. However with surgery or without the long term outlook is the same.  You will find that no two ruptures and healing paths are quite the same, but we still all have several exercises in common.  For me, I was placed in an air cast - hard plastic cast that is removable, held on with velcro straps. It had 4 heel wedges in it to begin with. After 4-5 weeks, heel wedges came out, approx. 1 wedge per week.  Then after week 8,cast removed.  During this period I was advised to see a physio therapist, which I did. She initially had me doing exercises to keep other muscles going strong. She also provided some healing treatments to injured area, but nothing very intense.  At week 4 we started with ROM (range of motion) exercies - boot removed and gentle movements, toe scrunches, etc. Fortuneately my cast was a walking cast, so I was mobile quite soon. Although it is exhausting. At 8 weeks, when cast removed, then stretches began - and continue.

I'm not sure if you are in a walking cast or not. Doesn't sound like it.  Certainly whatever your Dr. or PT recommended, do. And what they recommend you don't do, then don't do it.  

There is no quick or easy fix. You will find some weeks are amazing and others you seem to go backward with your progress.

Good luck!!

• Posted

You will find that you calf will be a bowl of jelly when cast is removed. My lower calf muscle came back fairly decently, but only now is my upper calf muscle just beginning to function. A bit.
  • Posted

Hey Evelyn I rupture my achillies and had surgery June 20. I still have staples in and a hard cast. I get both remove on July 10 (6 days and I'm counting) I will be put in a boot with 3 wedges. I believed my Dr. Told me once I'm in the boot I will be able to put weight on it however I won't start therapy until week 6.

I am bored and it's a mental struggle. My dr. Said I must keep it elevated at all times even when I get the boot on. I would say try to keep it up to a avoid swelling and blood clots.

• Posted

Hi Evelyn

Did you have surgery? I'll tell you my situation. I was diagnosed with Achilles tendonitis January of 2016. I did therapy, wore a boot and had minimally invasive tenex procedure. None of the above helped. I ended up with a partial tear. I had reconstructive surgery on December 20. I'm now 6 months past surgery and still not completely healed. I was out of work for 4 months. It was quite boring. I kept myself entertained with coloring, reading, watching movies and Internet games. I had a knee scooter which was very helpful but I also used crutches here and there. I got tired of laying around so I got up every hour and moved around.

I had a splint/hard cast for 2 weeks. I had my stitches removed and they put a plaster cast on for 4 weeks then I had the boot for 2 weeks. I had a lot of swelling which didn't help with the having to wear a sneaker. My therapist gave me massages of my foot to help the swelling go down. I did therapy for 7 weeks. I've been back to work 2 months and still can't be on my feet more than 5-6 hours without being in excruciating pain. It's a long recovery. My calf muscle is still weak. (I've been slacking on my calf raises) I still can't stand on my toes. Probably my fault for not doing my exercises regularly.

Just find things to keep yourself busy and make sure you do those stretches and most importantly heel raises when it's time for therapy. Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Evelyn, I ruptured my achilles 4 days ago and the more I read the more I realize how this is probably one of the longest recovery injuries there is - no fun! Not sure if you have looked into the IWalk2 - my doc recommended it too when I asked about it. I'm setting mine up today and I'm sure it's going to make my life much easier and mental state of mind more positive. Also there are these great blogs and videos (Youtube) by an Agnes in Washington DC - she gives excellent week by week expectations and how to cope.

It's nice to share with others in the same miserable position!

• Posted

Not sure where you live (I'm in Toronto, Canada area), but the cost of the IWalk2 is $150 (think it's money well spent) and they deliver it to your door. The company is Surgo Homecare that I purchased it from. Check out the Youtubes on it.

• Posted

Hey Evelyn just checking in to see how is it going? I believe we are at the same point in recovery. I am week 4 post op.
  • Posted

I suffered a rerupture 7 weeks ago, doctors say I'm just unlucky, anyway i wanted to try a few different things as my personal research seems to suggest that earlier weight bearing has better results. My treatment both times involves non surgery and the vacoped boot.

This time I have been eating more protein as this is what the body uses for muscle and tendon repair, also I have been eating fruit that contains vit c daily as apparently that aids the body convert that protein.

Also I have been adjusting my boot 5 degrees every 4/5 days so now at week 6/7 I am in neutral position and now at 7 weeks I am full weight bearing. First time round I think I was to gentle plus I had a different doc with a different plan each time I went in (every 2wks) then my physio wasn't arranged till wk12 but this time I have notified the physio myself in preparation.

The problem is weeks 4-6, partial weight bearing, what does that mean? A good tip here is to tread your injured leg onto some bathroom scales(in your boot!) I found I was putting 2/3 stone through my leg but this way I could manage what I was putting comfortably through it.

My final tip is clingfilm by the kettle, this way when using your crutches you can make a cup of tea, put clingfilm on top of your cup, carry it to the sofa and put your leg up, spill free!

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hey Kevious, just wondering when and how you reruptured? Too much too soon? There is sooo much conflicting advice for treatment it makes my head spin. I'm only at week 2 non surgery - my cast was removed and a boot put on its place (with wedges of course). My doc said start to start weight bearing and rom exercises right away with no guidance. Next appointment with him is at 6 weeks. Not impressed. Wondering at this late stage about getting another opinion. Not sold on the non surgery method - Im 58 and very athletic and I can't fathom the thought of reinjury. How are you coping?

• Posted

Hi Sharlene. Has your Dr. recommended you see a physiotherapist? The one thing I was really greatful for was that recommendation. When I was placed in boot with wedges, I was advised by Dr. and PT it was ok to weight bear as the foot was well supported and protected. Also started with some ROM exercises and exercises (with boot on) for strengthening thigh muscles in both legs an in hips. Most studies seem to indicate that long range recovery is the same with either surgery or non surgery route. Good luck. I hope you are able to see a PT.
    • Posted

Haha, you don't want to know when I reruptured!! It was at 26 weeks!! I should of been in the clear and well into recovery but I couldn't shake off the limp, had a largish lump of scar tissue and couldn't do a leg raise on the injured leg. This time round I am feeling a lot better though. It's just gone 7 weeks and I can walk about in my boot with no crutches. What boot do you have?

• Posted

Thanks Sandy - both your recommendation and a friend's prompted me to see a sports doc today at a physio clinic I have used before. He reassured me that non surgery is proving the same results with the same low percentage of reinjury. Plus he gave weekly guidelines (very similar to some of the info Ive found on the web) as well as showing specifics re weight bearing and rom exercises. Definitely worth going and feel a little more like I'm moving in the right direction! Thanks for your suggestion! 

i can't recall at what stage you are in your recovery? Hope it's nearer to the end?!

• Posted

Omg at 26 weeks - I feel for you. I have read scar tissue can be a huge issue in some cases. Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing and are well on your way towards the end of recovery - completely this time!

I think my boot is one of Darth Vader's - It sure looks and feels like it 😏! Not too comfortable - don't recall the brand but it's got a plastic type closure over the top of the foot and leg as well as under. Think it's bulkier than others I've seen, but not sure. Did/do you sleep with yours on? How long are you to continue wearing yours? Is it a similar design? That's must be fab to walk without crutches! Can't wait to get there.

• Posted

I do sleep in mine still but I feel like I probably could get away without it now, problem is I have 2 young sons who climb/jump in sometimes!

I walk without the crutches, but the walk looks more like a zombie kind but at least my hands are free, but this time round I feel so much stronger. For the last week or two, I take the boot off and rest it on a pillow while watching tv with the wife, I use the time to move my foot about, wiggle the toes and use massage lotion on my calf and Achilles. I can't feel any scar tissue lumps this time.

I should only have the boot for 2.5 weeks now, I don't think any of the boots are very comfortable!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.