Achilles tendon rupture ATR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I tore Achilles on may 14. Had surgery on may 19. I will be 2 weeks in this cast and this Friday I will get stitches out and then another cast for 6 weeks. After that I go in to a boot, not sure for how long.

Can anyone advise if it is OK to go in to a swimming pool when in the boot? Is it OK to remove the boot for swimming as we are going on holidays in July ?

Also I have kept leg elevated a lot over the last week, first week post surgery. How long is it necessary to keep leg elevated?

Once I go into boot will I be partially weight bearing/walking at that stage, so 8 weeks post surgery. Didn't receive any information from consultant/hospital. Just trying to figure out how I will manage on holidays. Any advise would be great

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would say no to taking the boot off to swim or anything else except bathing. I was not allowed to bear weight for at least a month after going into the boot. It's been 9 months since my surgery and I'm still not 100%. I would say maybe 60% actually. The key is a good PT, which I didn't have! I did PT for 6 weeks and he never worked on calf raises which is your ability to ever be able to stand on your toes again! Didn't realize that this was a problem until almost month 7!! Slowly but surely, I'm getting there. Go slow and do t push it but I wouldn't take the boot off except for bath and PT. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Hi Ash

Are you UK? To have surgery within 5 days sounds like private rather than NHS but great either way.

I don't get why you're going back into a cast for 6 weeks after the stitches come out. I had a complete rupture (as bad as it can get) and repair and went into a boot with wedges after the stitches came out. 4 wedges, one removed each week over the 4 weeks to start flexing the ankle.

My boot was 24/7, even sleeping, but as you will be a further 6 weeks along the healing process, maybe you'll be allowed to remove it for swimming and sleep.

Yes, keep the leg elevated when resting. Don't underestimate how hard it is to move even short distances on crutches. I was totally non weight bearing whilst in the cast but then I was told to start weight bearing in the boot. I bought a knee scooter and it was a godsend. So much easier than crutches.

This is a really long, slow healing process. I had total stiffness in the lower leg after the boot came off. I'm now 8 months on and the leg is getting stronger because of the exercises I've been doing and the physio. I can walk but still don't have enough flexibility or strength to run or jump. And walking without a crutch, and then a limp, took 3-4 months.

Question your consultant about everything and ask the reasons why. Hope this helps and good luck.

Cibby x

• Posted

Thanks cibby. Its great to talk to someone else with same injury and I can see this is a long road to recovery...I think once I get back on my feet I'm giving up sport!! Not risking it again!! I guess I was lucky to get surgery fast and that was public and in Ireland. I am back on Fri to get stitches out but they told me when I got the surgery and it was complete tear that I would have a cast for another 6 weeks after stitches out. So I was hoping that maybe once I am out of cast and in boot that I might be able to go into swimming pool on holidays...I'll ask on Friday anyway.

I bought a wheelchair as I find crutches so hard.

• Posted

Maybe different consultants have different methods. But if you are in a cast for another six weeks, the ankle is in a set rigid position and is not starting to gradually flex each week as the repair starts to heal. Hence why the boot with wedges is so good as you progress each week.

Maybe you had a horrendous rupture and the surgeoun is being cautious to prevent a re-tear? Ask him. My scan showed a complete 3cm gap where the Achilles totally came away from the calf muscle so I don't think you get much worse than that!

Eight months on and I'm only just walking ok, but still not properly. The injured leg only has 1/3 flexibility compared to the good leg so my stride is shorter and still has a bit of a limp if I don't totally focus. The calf is now stronger due to all the exercises I've been doing but my concern is that I'll never get the flexibility back. The Achilles is so tight and stiff despite all the stretching and mobility exercises I continue to do. It feels like there is a restrictive band around the ankle. Be prepared for this.

Also, when you do go into the boot and thus start to gradually flex the injury, be prepared for it to really hurt the first couple of days when you put weight on it. Remember, the leg will have been totally out of action for several weeks. You will have lost all muscle and strength in the calf and to a lesser extent the upper leg muscles and glute. Once allowed, you must donthe exercises the physio gives you to get these muscles working again. Not just the exercises that focus on the ankle and calf. Again, don't underestimate how little mobility you will have in the ankle to start with. I could barely move mine and it's quite scary.

It will get better if you do the exercises, but it will take a long time. Seriously, look at getting a knee scoooter. Mine was £120 brand new and I resold it for £80. This was mine: Drive Medical 790 Knee Walker (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)

Stay positive and best of luck!

Cibby x

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Ash,

Quite surprised that they will take stitches out and put you in another cast. I had surgery on May 14th, and was in soft cast for 2 weeks. Last week Wed had cast off, and fitted with boot (3 wedges) and 1st physio session. Big advantage of the boot over cast (for me) is that you can take the boot off, massage your foot, and calf muscle, and do a range of motion excercises.  I've been partial weight bearing in the boot this week. I can drive and I made it to the gym today.

On Wed 7th I get my stitches out (about 20 staples). Also keen to get in the pool, but it could be a mistake. Lots of germs and people p__s in the water. My feeling is why add the possiblity of infection complications when you can avoid them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.