Achilles Tendon Rupture - post surgery nerve pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I recently ruptured my AT whilst playing tennis. I had surgery 1 week ago and I am currently in a cast using 2 crutches and no weight bearing.

Apart from the initial post surgery swelling i have been in very little pain (i stopped taking the painkillers within 48 hours of surgery).

However occasionally i get sharp pains running through the outside of my foot. This seems to be triggered when i try and straighten my leg. I also can also trigger the pain by prodding the back of my kneecap, which leads me the think this is somehow nerve related.

Can anybody advise if this is a common post-surgery trait, and will it subside over time.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, as far as ı guess u read lots of things from web about ach rupture, cause you knew the nerve going thru outside the foot:) it was 8 months ago ı ruptured and had my surgery..ı was skeptical like u about many things, afraid of many things..non had come in reality..i m very good now, very few minor thinks like ruptured part is alittle tougher..so here is my advice for you and for folks who ruptured their achille..do not hurry to be same as before..let the time heel you..progress will be feel within weeks not days..free your mind of black thougths..by the way there will be lots of different types of pains and stpmtoms fingers, heel, calf, anywehre about foot will have different types of uncomfortibilities..

they will all go away..

• Posted

HI Mark a had snapped mine 2 years ago, I had pain in the outside of my foot & my ankle but my daughter noticed that my cast was not straight on my foot, had the cast changed & the pain stopped, this might not be the same for you but its probably worth checking

GARY

• Posted

Hi Mark

I underwent surgery for insertional achilles tendinitis over 7 months ago. It is different from a rupture. I had significant amount of calcification at the point where the achilles tendon attached to heel bone. The calcification had to be removed and the tendon was repaired. I too was on crutches for nearly 12 weeks of which the initial 5 weeks was non weight bearing. I still have a certain degree of numbness (most of the time) around my heel as well as the small toe. I also have some pain in around the area where the two cuts were made during the surgery. I keep being told by my doctor, that it takes time for recovery and for some persons nearly 12 months. Looks like i might be one of them!. BTW i am 59 years old hence maybe the recovery is longer although i am quite fit with my weight at 77kgs being the lowest for the last 30 years. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall. I manage to do everything i wish to do including going to the gym about 4 days a week although walking for exercise a problem as the heel pain comes back. Hope i have not discouraged you. It will take time and you need to be patient and do not rush. There will be ups and downs in your recovery. Wish you speedy recovery.

Sanjeewa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.