Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery

Posted , 32 users are following.

Ruptured my achilles and had operation 17weeks ago. Still limping a fair amount with some pain despite gradually developing strength in the calf. Single heel raises limited but I can take weight whilst walking on my toes. Physio seems to think I should be further ahead and walking without limp or pain. In other's experience how long might I be in pain walking and limping?

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 41 and 4 months post Achellies Reattachment surgery. I'm still walking with a slight limp but my main concern is the "toothache" type pain I constantly have on the inside of my heel near the anchor locations. Does anyone else have or have had this issues. I don't know if I should make an appointment with my Dr. I don't want to seem like a complainer or anything?
    • Posted

I'm 42 and its been one week. Im hoping to be golfing by july?   What do you think you thinkk my chanes are?
    • Posted

Hi Tonya,

I ruptured my tendon in March, and I am 8 weeks post-op my 2nd surgery. OMG, I do know the "toothache" nagging, and constant pain in my heel. It had me crying out yesterday, but it's good to know that it's normal in the healing process. I just got my walking boot off 2 days ago. Trying to get some normalcy back in my life. I pray you heel well, and quickly.

Sherrie Fults

• Posted

Hi David I had a achiliestendon rupture six weeks ago . Just had surgery this past mon . When I got home noticed three insisions one on back of leg was expected but the two on my heel weren't  why would I have two on my heel
  • Posted

Be careful about stretching - you don't want to lengthen your tendon as it may have l-t adverse effects on your power/recovery. You degree of flexion only needs to match your good leg - don't go beyond it. A tight tendon tendon can always be loosend, a lax one remains like that.

• Posted

Surgery usually takes place 3-4 days post injury when the swelling is a little less and scans can take place. In order to deal with the pain and limping.....then you need treatment, ie surgery + moonboot + painkillers, or no surgery + moonboot + painkillers.

Surgery can take place 2-3-4 weeks after injury but is not advisable as the natural healing process will be underway or more damage created via a further rupture.

• Posted

Hi, it's been 1 month now now since I ruptured 1/4 of my Achilles' tendon on my vacation in Florida , the sad news is that Florida's ER sent me packing with meds, partial cast, and crutches , then preceded to tell me that it was only a sprain. It was not until 3 weeks in and with the ORA Doctor here in Iowa, that I was told I had ruptured my Achilles... So now I'm in a boot for another 4 weeks, (1 week in). My question is, if you can offer any reasoning, is that I wake up with muscle spasms in my calf.  This started the first week, ended once I started the boot, but now it's back, and this morning the spasm even went down the tendon all the way to the ankle!  I have never had a Charlie Horse lover than the calf before... Just not sure if I should be concerned or not!! Thanks for listening!! 

• Posted

Guys I have a question... I'm 8 weeks post op and the tendon sound very thick. Anybody experiences this, Dr. Saying it will be thicker even when it heals completely. Anybody experiences the same or can add some light on this subject. Thx

• Posted

David,

I just put up a post about this very thing last night. I'm 10 weeks pistnop and am experiencing pain and swelling. Saw my surgeon for a follow up on Friday and he told me to elevate my foot (something I stopped doing) and gave me some anti inflammatory cream to put on. It's only been a couple of days but it seems to be working. I just want to be better - I've been in pain for so long. I thought the surgery would end the pain.

• Posted

Any advice please.  Consultant orthopaedic surgeon diagnosed ruptured Achilles 3 yrs ago without scan because I couldn't do toe stand.  No op because I saw him 3 months after injury when physiotherapist had been treating it as 'calf injury'.  As I'm in 70s and it wasn't sports injury it really was neglected.

Now seen Trager practitioner who tells me my calf muscle is strong and although I 'claw' my toes in an effort to maintain stability, each toe is well connected and able to move independently ( albeit with concentration).  Could it really be a wrong diagnosis because I am in no pain now.  I was given to understand that whilst it was damaged but connected, it was painful (I felt very bruised): but that after the dreadful pain of it snapping (which was excruciating) there was no more pain.  Reading everyone else's problems, I think my Trager man may be right, although the heel/ankle is disfigured and I still can't toe stand.

• Posted

My diagnosis was the Thompson test, lying down, "The doctor will gently squeeze the calf muscles at the back of your leg and observe how the ankle moves. If the Achilles tendon is OK, the calf squeeze will make the foot point away from the leg (a movement called plantar flexion). This is quite an accurate test for Achilles tendon rupture." I had conservative treatment 2 years ago, but still can't easily toestand.. weak muscle never 100% recovered. Age 67

• Posted

My diagnosis was also the Thompson test, lying face down, as an initial screen for tendon rupture.  The more thorough way to evaluate (and the verification they used in my case) is an MRI.  In my case, that showed a complete separation.  I was still walking on it with relatively little pain in spite of the complete rupture.
    • Posted

I self diagnosed by failure to toe stand, and got an immediate dr appointment. SHe did the test, and in fact showed a student dr "a classic case" !  Appointment with consultant in a couple of days and he confirmed diagnosis by test and manipulation, no scans. I did question this, but he said it was a clear partial rpture and showed me by comparing legs there was some movement of the foot, but nowhere near as much as the other. I could feel the difference by gently squeezing the tendon.. I could feel a rather weird gap where the tendon should be. No pain at all since the initial stumble and break.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  That is very useful.  Will get a Thompson test. G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.