Achilles Tendon rupture recovery, Fixed walking boot!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Can I ask those who has been (are) on a Fixed walking boot, I will start using the boot from next Tuesday, this is a partial weight bearing boot. I am slightly worried about how I am going to manage my activities around the house (you know what I mean by activiy though, doing tiny bits with 2 crutches!), Do you take off your boot at nights? I am worried about re rupturing it at night while asleep with sudden moves! I have been sleeping with cast for 5 weeks, I can't imagine how it is going to be. Do you take it off everytime you sit down and wear it if you want to go from living room to the kitchen or bathroom etc.? Were you alowed to fly (to be on the flight)? 

I am on 6th weeks, feeling more hopeful and happier now as I can see some progress! But the ankle itself is very stiff.

Wish you all a speedy recovery.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was given in addition a soft sleeping boot which I really liked. You may want to ask your ortho doctor about getting one of these. In the daytime I used crutches until I could do FWB.
    • Posted

Hi, I will ask for soft sleeping boot to see where I can get one. May I ask how long it took for you to go FWB? 
  • Posted

I bought my own Vacocast boot, which has a removable bottom sole so it's a little more comfy at night.  My doctor wanted me wearing it all night long for the first few months because he didn't want the achilles shortening.  

• Posted

Hi, May Iask where you bought Vacocast boot from? Looks very practical and flexible compare to mine!
  • Posted

FWB DOES THIS MEAN FULL WEIGHT BEARING AND THE OPPOSITE FOR NWB

• Posted

Yes as far as I know. There's also PWB, Partial weight bearing.

• Posted

Yes. FWB=100% weight on injured foot, leg or ankle

PWB= 25,50, or 100% weight on injured foot (it's a process to get to FWB)

ROM= Range of Motion (when you start PT they have you stretch your ankle right, then left, flex forward, and point away, to start to gain ROM). That's the beginning of PT. Later there's wobble board exercises, one foot balancing, tip toe walking etc to gain full strength in the injured leg. So first flexibility exercises, then strengthening exercises.

• Posted

Sorry PWB only goes up to 100%, then it's FWB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.