Achilles Tendon Rupture recovery - night splint upport?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I injured my right achilles tendon at a gym class 2 months. I was misdiagnosed in A&E and was told that swelling would subside in a few days. After days of being unable to place any weight on my foot I sought advice from a sports injury clinic and after 3 treatments, I was advised to have a diagnostic ultrasound scan. Luckily with private health insurance through work I got a scan appointment 2 days later and was confirmed that I has a complete tear in the tendon. The rupture was repaired in surgery almost 4 weeks after injury. I had a plaster for 10 days initially followed by a fibreglass cast for 4 weeks which is due to be removed on Monday. I will have to use an air walker boot for the next 6 weeks which will finally give me back my mobility.

I am anxious that I will not have any support on the foot during the night and first thing in the morning and wondered if anyone used a night splint or brace to support the tendon?

Thanks

Dee ☺

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee, I had an achilles reconstruction and after 6 weeks in plaster cast went into an air boot for another 7 weeks, I found i was ok through the night, but I had to crawl if I needed to get out of bed during the night and first thing in the morning. I have been out of the boot for a month now and have only just been able to walk to the bathroom as it really stiffens up during the night. Hope this is of any use at all.  Janet

• Posted

Hello. Glad ur progress is going well. I'm hoping to be walking without crutches in 4 weeks as advised by my surgeon. I feel relieved that the boot will be on at night. I really should stop worrying too much. Lol

Are you having physio now that the boot is off?

Tc

Dee

• Posted

Hi Dee I am having NHS physio and she is doing hardly anything with me except telling me what stretches to do, in the 5 times I have been since January she must have only seen my foot once!! I went to a private physio who checked my stance, gave me ultra sound(which when i asked my NHS physio a week before said it would be too soon and painful!!) it was fine, also I had deep massage and extra stretches. If I could afford private for the whole time I would definately go.

Janet

• Posted

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the mis-diagnosis.  I am 3 weeks post injury (playing sport) and was diagnosed straight away in A&E.  Plaster cast that night then in the boot next day but was told to wear at all times - even in bed! so it is supported of course and not subject to putting under any strain - or getting accidentally kicked by your partner.

I am in my boot for another 10 weeks at least and have just taken out the first wedge under the heel and have to say I haven't noticed much difference as yet.

Anyway, don't rush to get back, plan for the long term. Good luck

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Just curious as to what you mean by not noticing much difference after removing the first wedge. I recently removed my first of five wedges last week the first couple of days I felt some pulling but I wasn't sure if that was just in my head it if it was actually happenin! Also curious as to how mobile you feel you are in the boot. I find I can't stand very long. Good leg hurts after about ten minutes and injured leg tends to still swell. I can one step around the house without crutches but use one crutch to help with speed if going further distances.

Take care

• Posted

Hi there

Well it has been 6 hours since removing that wedge now and have felt a slight pulling.  I feel sort of ok walking around without the crutches but after a while, because of the inbalance between the length of both legs, my back begins to ache and so I revert back to using crutches which I don't mind too much.  I suppose its a question of mix and match.  I find one-stepping a bit limiting and just use that for short distances, i.e. kettle to the sink!!  Apart from the above the swelling has definitely gone down which I think's a good sign after 3 weeks.  I just have a problem with very dry skin under my injured foot. Started moisturising it a couple of days ago but not much progress at the moment.  Will try soaking tomorrow and see if that has any effect.

Any way, onwards and upwards

• Posted

Hi many thanks for your comments. I had the cast taken off yesterday and been advised to wear my iron man boot all day and night for the next 4 weeks and still continue with the crutches. I'm allowed a break from the boot if I have no plans to move..ie watching TV. No physio booked in yet as surgeon would like to see my progress with walking alone. I do feel more at ease even though the leg is more painful today.

I too have dry skin on my injured foot but have massaged olive oil on for moisture.. ☺

• Posted

Hi Dee,

I've now been in my boot for three weeks. I started with five wedges and after two weeks removed one of them. I fully ruptured my achilles playing volleyball. I was in a splint for a week, followed by a cast for three weeks. My doctor opted for the non surgical route.

My doctor told me I had to wear my boot to bed to prevent getting it caught and pulling my foot in the wrong direction. It was hard to get use to but it does ease your mind. I have my boot on for the majority of the day. The only time I take it off is when I know I will be watching tv for a while. I have been a little frustrated with my boot because I thought I'd be walking with it. I find the wedges put a lot of strain on my good leg so I still use a crutch when walking further then room to room!

Good luck with your recovery. I keep hearing slow and steady wins the race!!

• Posted

Hello Bec13. I do feel relieved that the boot will be worn at night although it feels really heavy.

No wedges for me as my tendon was stretched between my first and second cast. I'm able to put more weight onto my right leg and hope to walk on it more as days go on and less dependency on the crutches.

Good luck with your recovery too. Definitely a slow process and also challenging with kiddies getting chicken pox!!! Possible will be working from home in the next week or so. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.