Achilles tendon surgery with tendon transfer

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, on 22 August, i had a calcaneoplasty, achilles debridement with FHL transfer. Hopefully this means something to someone ! I was put in a cast slab with bandages around, none weight baring. Absolutely no pain or discomfort other than trying (at the age of 46) to use crutches - not good! Went back yesterday, took it all off and now in an aircast boot. Struggled to sleep as they didnt really say whether i could sleep without it? and i've been in so much more pain today than i was even on day 1! Has anyone had this type of surgery and can help? Should i be taking the boot off to rest when not on my feet?imageimage

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I'm not familiar with this particular surgery, but I can say, from my surgery and current boot wearing, that I definitely take it off when I sleep. Sleeping while in pain is hard enough, but trying to do it with a big clunky boot, is impossible.

• Edited

Sure...I had ORIF. Had plates and screws "installed". I was casted for 6 weeks before the boot (which I've had for only a couple days).

I struggled with the crutches too (age 42) because I felt like I was gonna fall. I ended up getting a knee scooter, but you might not be able to do that with the length of your boot.

• Posted

A knee scooter sounds good! What do they look like? I'm 46 so the same, terrified of falling. Hope you heal soon.x

• Edited

Search for Knee Scooter on Amazon...I tried to put a link to something once and it was blocked. Also, my local Walmart had them in stock. It's been a lifesaver for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.