Achilles tendon twice the thickness it should be. Cause and possibility of rupture?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently had the results of an MRI on my foot.  My symptoms have been a tender lump on my achilles tendon and very painful heel which affected my walking.  The consultant told me that I have plantar fasciitis and my achilles tendon is twice the thickness it should be.

Although the consultant has discharged me, he has told me to come back if the pain continues - I've had physio, which has helped - and he will give me an injection.  I'm going to avoid this, if possible.

So, two questions.  Is the thickness of my achilles tendon caused by scar tissue - damage and then healing?  Does this damage mean that there is a greater possibility of it rupturiing in the future?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The lump/thickness could have been a minor tear a while ago and the lump is scar tissue from that. 
    • Posted

Thank you.  Although the consultant didn't explain it, I thought that would be what it was.

• Posted

When I ruptured mine, I was told it happend because I had Tendonitis, I never knew it! However, I have lots of other musculoskeletal problems, which means probably I was putting too much load on this foot. I would be very careful until the ticken tendon heals. Best of luck
    • Posted

Thank you, Mortez.  I've got osteoarhritis in my feet, as well, which also adds to the problem.  It's worse in my right foot and, therefore, I probably do put more weight on my left, which is the one with the achilles tendon problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.