Achilles tendonitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I injured my ankle during a tackle 3 weeks ago in a football match, like with many sports injuries I just ice it and take ibuprofen. 2 weeks had passed and I still had swelling, and pain which started across the top of my foot, then went round to my ankle bone eventually to my Achilles. The doctor told me I had achilles tendonitis and also sent me for an X-ray the next day. X-ray came back clear and I had no bone damage. I am currently on naproxen, codeine and paracetamol to help. This has resulted in stomach pains. sad

He told me to take 4 weeks off football but that's all he told me.. do I just go straight back to training? Do I build up gently? Can I do any exercises during the next 4 weeks? Can i get it again? Is 4 weeks a good time guide or did people need more or less time. Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to know where I'm at and what I can do to help. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think that you should go back to your doctor and ask them what to expect from here on.  Truthfully, I'm thinking that they should have answered some of those questions when you were there, especially the part about going back to training.  That's something that you would need to know like, now. You said that you didn't have bone damage but did you have any tendon damage?  Also, I don't think that it would hurt to get a second opinion.

• Posted

Hi Kelly

If there is a problem with your Achilles an X-ray will not pick this up. I would therefore push them to send you for an MRI scan.... you will prob have to fight for it but that's the only way.... alternatively have the MRI done privately but this may cost you around £500.... expensive yes but worth it for your health and you will know what the issue it.

Best wishes!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.