Achillies tendon rupture progress - when to start walking in shoe again

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's been just over 6 weeks now since i ruptured my achilles tendon, I went down the non-surgical route. The doc gave me a boot with wedges in and told me to start talking one out on a weekly basis. I've got 2 left, ill take one out this week, final one next week. However im not sure when im down to zero wedges - do i still wear the boot with none in or start wearing a shoe again? I'm not back to the hospital until the middle of July. 

Im worried cause if i started wearing a normal shoe, it could be too early in the healing process as obviously ive not fully recovered?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'd ring and ask the consultant to confirm what you should do. After getting to zero wedges I came out of the boot and into trainers with a small gel heel firvextra support. The leg was really painful for a day or two as it was weight bearing for the first time without any support. I continued to use one crutch initially - more for confidence as the leg could not take a full step.

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I was 8 weeks in the boot, 2 weeks of those with no wedges. I would really advise you not to put a shoe on until you have had the all clear from your first physio session. I did ask the question at my hospital appointment and I was told off for asking the question.

At your first physio session they will test range of movement, strength and will advise you when you should be out of the boot and back in the shoe.

2 weeks out of the boot now and I have strength exercises to do twice a day and I still have no power in the front of my foot. Calf muscle is non existent so patience is key! It's is very slowly getting there but will be a lengthy process to get back to normal.

• Posted

Thanks. Is there any advantage though of having the boot without wedges though other than protection?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.