Achillies tendon tear

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello im 39 completely tore my achillies tendon and I had surgery yesterday. Wondering how did anyone manage their pain. Did you put ice on back of knee? I woke up this morning in alot of pain. Was you on complete bed rest for 2 weeks?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was p it on non weight baring for 4 weeks. I just made sure to stay on top of the pain meds. I was also given a block that didn't wear off for 36 hours.

• Posted

I wasn't given a block the first two days home was brutal. I'm at one week and I'm just uncomfortable I can't put my leg up to where it's not thumbing or sharp achiness hits. Mentally it's a struggle my whole summer has been alter. Not sure when I will be able to drive. It's my right foot? Was anyone able to drive in the boot or cast or using left foot? How long until you can drive again?

• Posted

Hi. Yes for first 2 weeks I had leg elevated and was nearly in bed or couch entire time. Didn't use ice as was in cast. Are you in a cast? Yes pain was hard, I'm 6 weeks post op now and still in pain esp at night. Cast coming off this.week.

• Posted

Hey I'm in a cast now , one week out I have two more weeks in cast and I still have staples. I got 25 staples did you get staples? I am not in pain just very uncomfortable. I stop pain meds about 4 or 5 days after surgery.

I haven't been able to fifure out a comfortable position with my foot up. It's driving me crazy. O

• Posted

Hi. I know that feeling. No I didn't get staples. Was 2 weeks in backslab cast, then got stitches out and then 4 weeks in a cast. I am now in the last week and this is about the first week that it is fairly comfortable. Have to have it elevated the entire time nearly still though , I don't know whether that is normal at this stage or not. The.minute I go on the crutches, my toes go purple, possibly cast is too tight but at this stage I will put up with anything...cast off on Friday.

I agree hard to get good position. I find putting leg on side abit better

• Posted

On driving...I'm not sure...I'm only 6 weeks along and not driving yet ..

But I am left leg and changed car to an automatic so I'm hoping once in boot I will be able to drive.

Up to now was too sore to leave house..

• Posted

Thanks Ash. Did you have staples? If so how long did you have them in?

• Posted

Hi no just stitches and I had them 2 weeks. While I had them I had backslab cast and and then once they were removed I had cast for 4 weeks. Due to get cast off on Friday...literally counting down the hours!!! I hope you are doing OK. I bought a wheelchair and found it was the best thing ever as was able to keep leg elevated but move around...
    • Posted

I just purchase the scooter.

So what's next for you when you get the cast off?

Did your dr. Tell you when you will be able to run again?

• Posted

The scooter is a life savor! Just be careful to not keep your leg bent for long it may lead to a blood clot. I am just recovering from one and I am 6 wks post op. My Dr told me the only way I would run again is by having the surgery but may take up to a year to get back to it. Good luck!
    • Posted

I'm confused jenn. You are 6 weeks post op but you got a blood clot?

• Posted

Yes. I had calf pain starting at week 2 and by the end of week 4 I was in horrible pain. They checked for one at the 2 week mark but with the cast they were unable to check my lower leg. It was the worst pain I have ever endured!
    • Posted

Hi. Yes I.have seen on blogs people swearing by the scooter , I just felt my knee wouldn't be up to it...previously had surgery on knee! Hope scooter works out well for you and great to feel more.mobile...

I am going in tomorrow to get cast off after 6 weeks...so I'll have better idea then what next stage is...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.