Aching arm after shoulder surgery 4 months on

Posted , 59 users are following.

I had rotator cuff and torn tendon repair 4 months ago. I still get an aching arm most days and have become very clicky, more so than before the opp.  I appreciate there is pain for many months after this operation, but I don't see any sign of easing, if anything, some days are getting worse. Obviously, there would be pain if something has gone wrong, so how am I supposed be be sure it is all fine? Has anyone else had these sort of experiences at this stage?

3 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think I slept in the recliner for 3 months, then I moved to the spare bedroom surrounded by pillows. I also wore my sling for about 2 months at night. It does help.
  • Posted

Hi everyone I’m new here.  So a bit of back ground about my injury.  13 months ago I tore the biceps tendon off the bone lifting heavy boxes at work.  Had surgery to re-attach the tendon in Feb 2017, subachromial decompression, part of the clavicle shaved off and removal of the AC joint (Surgeon removed AC joint for no apparent reason to this day I still have no answer as to why).  Recovery was horrendous, constant pain and frustration.  Then 6 months post op I had the left shoulder done also (chose a new surgeon as didn’t want any other body parts removed without my consent!) Left was removal of calcification deposits, removal of the Bursa and a clean up done.  I have developed frozen shoulder (Capsulitis) in both shoulders post op so recovery has been awful for both.  My question is this, how long is recovery really?! I feel like I’m going insane with the pain, it’s constant aching, popping, burning down both arms, I still cannot put either arm up over my head or behind my back to dress myself, I can’t sleep on either shoulder, I cannot hang washing out or do most daily activities still, 12 months and 6 months post op! Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The depression is in full swing also.  Thank you! 
  • Posted

Hi I here you I had mine done almost 5 months ago and even when I'm not doing anything mine aches and burns it even hurt my neck  I don't know I almost feel worse not then I did before and I here a lot of clicking also.

• Posted

Most sound normal. My burning stopped, but I still have clicks and achiness. I'm 9 months out.

• Posted

Oh boy...see my discussion posts for historical data...I am full rom after the revision surgery .... Which probably would not have taken place had my original PT not ripped a repair off screws... My point is surgeries fail and surgeons do not want to perform revision surgeries. Insurance companies do not want to pay for revision surgery... But in my case I think my surgeon (who I do trust) had complications during my first surgery due to the amount of damage needing to be reattached. My revision surgery took FIVE hours. It was supposed to be three. My revision recovery soared without any complications. I am fully restored. I've seen the surgeon a few more times due to a fractured hand... he's excellent but there was a problem with the original surgery. Reattachment was off. I complained many times before the pt incident. My complaints were meet with respnses identical to yours! Its fine, it takes time, etc. Surgeons make mistakes, they don't want to do revision surgery. Keep after them. We all deserve to recover with success. I don't know it this makes sense to you all but it is my experience over the last 13 months. Good luck to all.

• Posted

PS I'm pain free now 8 months out of the revision... The revision surgery was precision. But it never would have happened had sutures failed during pt and the tendon ripped off screws during pt. The new PT who I only saw 20 times was exceptional. Ask questions and seek second opinions.

• Posted

Im just shy of 4 weeks bicept tendonesis repair and two other tares. I had two other surgeries on my left side. THIS ONE HURTS. Pain popping spasms. Lack of sleep I start pt next week. I sleep with ice machine...
    • Posted

Thanks Rachelle,

It's seriously driving me crazy I've been told heat rather than cold off one physio. Then another saying the opposite.. Don't know where I'm at and I'm following them to the letter as I can only use 1 side 😒

• Posted

I had a slap repair and acromioplasty done about 10 weeks ago. Was doing great, pain-free then 3 weeks into it, I pulled a towel around me and heard and felt clicking and popping that ended up causing me a lot of pain. My range of motion really sucks. I went back to the doctor and had another MRA done and he said it was fine but was concerned that I wasnt moving my arm enough. Wants me to do everything I can with it now. But the pain is awful and I can't even put my hair up, take off my bra or reach out to the side of me. And have a lot of radiating in my arm and jaw. How were you doing at 2.5 months and how's your pain and range of motion now?

• Posted

Roberta, hope your feeling better real soon. Mine is doing pretty good. I do the rubber bands daily and lift weights 3 times a week. Pain has decreased much and strength is increasing (slowly). I still can't hardly throw anything with my left arm but I keep trying. Recovery is just slow especially when you hit 60, but I'm not giving up and will keep after it.. good luck

• Posted

Hi! Yikes, it sounds like you’re having a tough time. Id be concerned about pain in your jaw, as that seems unusual to me. 

I am very fortunate that my recovery is going well.

I’ve learned to slow it down and take tylenol instead of grinning and bearing the ache. I can finally dry my hair, yay!!

I go back to the sling as a precaution in crowds.

I would say this surgery was very trying...

Look after your jaw pain.  Let us know how that comes out!

Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi roberta. You do have a very long way to go, but you will get there!  Now if I say that it must be true! I cannot remember exactly when, but it was well over five months before I could put my hair up again.

Its almost been 13 months post opp for me. I still have pain, but a recent ultra sound has proven I have healed inside.  I have not got my total range of movement or strength back 100%, but I am almost there.  I recently have started seeing a new physio and discovered its likely my pain is coming from tight muscles that have not been worked properly since my opp, fingers cross this is the problem, as my surgeon told me it is unusual to still have pain at this stage.

Your pain will begin to ease soon, you've just got a lot in there that needs to heal.

• Posted

I have severe pain six weeks after my arthroscopic surgery for a rotator cuff repair some days worse than others it even went as far as my wrist. I was advised to discontinue using the sling after a week due to my age,but no arthritis was found.
    • Posted

You are still early in recovery. I had less pain after the seventh week. guess I needed to be patient.  

Still need to remind myself to slow down!

Hard to do!

• Posted

When I first started reading these posts early on after my surgery I found them very comforting. There were a few posts saying be patient it takes a year. Depressing but reassuring that we weren't all crazy. For many of us that's a fact. I'm a year in 10 days and my shoulder is fine but my biceps and neck still ache. I feel as strong as I was before the tear. I still do stretches and use the weights and bands. Do what the PT and doc says. You don't want to do this again if you don't have to. Also it seems as though the weather affects the achiness as well so allow for that.

• Posted

I still have severe pain post op 2 months and this morning I woke to severe pain plus and now have severe bruising again down to my elbow,do you think Si should go back to my physiotherapist earliest I have an appt in2 weeks time,some of the exercises I am unable to perform which I could do before,is it possible I have done more damage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.