Aching back and painful fingers first thing in morning

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer this? Every morning waken up with backache and painful fingers which eases off once Im up and about.  Been for blood tests which were normal.   However Ive been reading about Ankylosing spondylitis which sounds exactly like the symptoms Ive been having.  Does anyone know what Im talking about? Im wondering if its related to menopause as Im 53 or something thats never going to go away?  Appreciate any advice....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Amber, I know exactly what you're talking about as I went through that as well. It is related to perimenopause. It's caused by the drop in estrogen. I took Glucosamine & MSM with chondritin, and calcium with vitamin d. After taking it for about 2 weeks, my pain went away but I continued to take them on occasion to prevent it from coming back. It finally went away after about 6 months.

• Posted

thanks for sharing with me, Ive been taking glucosamine sulphate for about month but no difference yet.  I am so pleased to hear that it went away for you, and hope mine does toobiggrin

• Posted

Hi Amber yes I have this every day. I take Cod liver oil and Starflower oil capsules. It seems to ease it for me. I bought new pillows to help my back and purchased an ergonomic mouse for mmy laptop and this helped too.

All part of the perimenopause package I guess. Hope you find relief soon. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Louise sorry to hear you're also suffering.  I take cod liver oil but not much relief so far. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only one symptom but there's so many, I'm going back to dr but not convinced they can do anything for it. I just hope it goes away after menopause xxx

• Posted

Hi Amber. My brother and Mum have Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was diagnosed with it too, however that was then changed to M.E, then to Ehlers Danlos.  The reason my diagnosis was taken away was because there was no evidence of inflammation. Even though I had a lot of pain and joints tender to touch, which is a sign of inflammation.  

I suggest you speak with your GP about your symptoms and ask for a blood test. The ESR rate is how they tell if there is inflammation. Mine was always fine. When my brother has flare ups his ESR goes up a lot.  How long is your back stiff and painful for?  It may also be worth asking to see a physio, who will be able to give you good advice. 

• Posted

Hi Claire, I'll have to google Ehiers Danios, not heard of that before. I've had ESR which was normal, so Dr kind of dismissed me but symptoms are still there and no improvement.  Backache since 4 months or more, I'm going to go back and have another  go so see if I get some answers this time. Thanks for your reply and advice on this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.