Aching Back Pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been told by my doctor that I will most likely develop Osteoporosis when I pass my 50's... I'm new to the forum and thought I would seek some advice from those with more experience. Are there any exercises that anybody knows of or any recommendations of what not to do that can help with chronic back pains? My posture is awful. Any advice would be great! Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What risk factors do you have which made the doctor tell you you would probably develop OP?
  • Posted

I wish I had been as wise as you are and done something 20 years ago to help my back.

Make sure you are not lacking vitamin D for a start and take a suppplement if you are. 

Weight bearing exercises while you are this young is important.

Yes, be mindful of your posture and practise walking tall and straight.

The Internet is a great place to find suitable exercises.

Have a really good diet of vegetables and check you are getting all nutrients.

Do not stress and manage this if you do.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for this, I'll see what I can do in terms of exercise and strengthen my back muscles. What sort of exercises do you usually do at the moment to help with this? If I ever develop Osteoporosis which as mentioned seems likely, what process did you go through when you were diagnosed?

• Posted

You would manage more than I do. I mostly rely on the pool for my exercises. I can walk only a limited time and I use a walker. I have two bulging discs which cause me some issues. I also have mild scoliosis. Added to this I have arthritis in the back and most other joints.

When I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis I was in shock because I had never imagined that would happen to me.

I refused the drugs after much careful thought and research.

I now take vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium, zinc, some calcium if I think I am under my four serves per day. Other nutrients I get from my food. Some good ones to include are kiwi fruit, bone broth, leafy greens, avocados, skin of cucumbers, and prunes.

As I am 71 the type of exercises I do would be too limited for you so construct a program after researching on line or visiting a physio.

all the best.

• Posted

I agree, some weight bearing exercises help. Could anybody elaborate or develop on the exercises they do to manage OP. How are most of you coping with it all? I think for me, it's very much a spiritual process. Mind over matter and be positive all the time...

• Posted

Rita, when I was first told I had osteoporosis (it was a mistaken diagnosis, my level is actually low bone mass aka osteopenia) I was horrified.  I'd already been walking, trying to get a daily total of 10,000 steps for my daily activity.  I upped my game and bought a really good weighted walking vest, which I wear every few days to stimulate the osteoblasts to lay down new bone.  I also have taken up Nordic walking, supposed to be good for upper body strength, and Tai Chi.  Apparently Tai Chi does improve bone density, although I'm not sure how, but one thing it definitely does is improve balance.  As a major cause of fracture  is falling, anything which improves one's balance has to be a good thing!

I also have a bunch of yoga and physio exercises I've done for many years, so I suppose every little helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.