Aching feet being less mobile after bunion op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone found it difficult to walk easily after being unable to walk far for a few months . Even the foot that hasn't had any surgery seems achy as soon as I walk for 20 mins . Walking just seems so hard now even though my bunion operated foot is doing well .

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I am 6 weeks post op and finally took baby steps this past monday. Unfortunately, I over did it yesterday and now feel miserable. Yes, my good foot also aches after walking just a little. I believe it's because I've been so inactive for the last 6 weeks... take a nice Epsom salt water bath and hang in there.
    • Posted

I'm about 16 weeks now and I'm sure there is weekly improvement but it's almost insignificant I feel . The op and recovery was so much easier than I expected and I'm gutted this second phase is so hard . It's like having toothache in both feet/ legs after short walks and frustrating .

I just didn't expect it to be so miserable after doing everything I was told and having second one done is now bothering me in case I become very immobile .

Might have to pay for private physio maybe x good luck with your recovery but try to keep your legs exercised as much as possible x

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I will hit the stationary bike today (with my boot on), as walking is causing too much pain. I also had my 2nd metatarsal bone shortened (2nd toe) due to a plantar plate rupture along with my bunionectomy (chevron-akin procedure). My recovery has been dreadful and my doctor finally agreed to physical therapy starting after week 8... I live in the USA and I've learned to not trust these doctors. They are not the know all be all and I am trying to keep positive....sorry you are having these troubles. My mom had a bunionectomy 15 years ago (doesn't remember the type) and she said it took 1 year to better.
    • Posted

Good luck with your physio holly and let us know how you get on . Just knowing others are struggling to get movement back helps me in an odd way and it's just time I suppose . I'm now doubtful about other four being operated on as planned as I could end up totally immobile if this is anything to go by ! My op has been easy and straight forward but mobility recovery has really difficult but I suppose my optimistic outlook will eventually pull me through 😀 good luck x
  • Posted

Yep there seems many of us struggling to walk normally even though the operated foot is healing well. It seems doctors should be telling us to have physio as soon as the boot comes off after 6 weeks post op. The joint is stiff and the swelling puts pressure on soft tissue and muscles in the foot. Because we are walking with a strange gait it puts pressure on all other parts of our body ie ankle hip and bank. You are not alone.
  • Posted

I went to my GP as I was so worried re the slow healing process. He suggested using a walking stick when not at work if I was struggling with the pain and aching when walking plus ibuprofen gel on my swollen operated on foot. It has helped ..see if that helps anyone?
  • Posted

Hi

i am thirteen weeks post bunionectomy and have screw and staples in my toe.  I felt great after operation and went back to my Zumba, yoga and walking after about 9 weeks.  However, the last few weeks I have found that if I walk more than ahalf a mile I start to limp.  My big toe is fine but it is the middle toes that really hurt.  The pain is really bad and causing me to limp which is now causing my knee and hip to hurt.

i asked for Physio but there is a long waiting list and they don't seem to think you need it after a bunionectomy. 

I know that it must be because I am not walking properly but it is difficult when I don't really know what I  am doing wrong.  I have gone back on the strong pain killers now. Although I only need them when I am walking.

It is good to hear that it isn't just me.

• Posted

It's miserable isn't it and no you are not alone. Try a walking stick at times to give the foot a rest from weight bearing. Do gentle excersice by pushing your toes backwards and forwards. This has definitely helped me. I was going to pay for physio but seemed to have turned a corner thank goodness. When I have my next foot done I am definitely paying for private physio as soon as my 6 weeks special boot time is over.
  • Posted

Hi Oxejess

I have bunion surgery on 5 January this year. I recently started walking but with a slight limp. When I ahve been walking for a while my limp worsens.I still have swelling on the top of my foot and In the last few days I have experienced really bad pain on the foot that hasn't had surgery on the top of that foot also. What gives? Is it because of lack of movement. I wonder if I should have been offered physiotherapy. Have you?

• Posted

I'm a week behind you and walk with a limp unless I concentrate very hard and walk really slow . No physio offered and my g p said the n h s wait is 18-20 weeks and I ll be better by then ! Fingers crossed he s right !

I've stood most of today in the infant school where I work and my foot is now sore under neath and aches on the top . It also looks like a small balloon has been inflated where it's so swollen but life has to return to normal eventually and I'm just trying to work through the ache . I expected my op foot to be like this but hate the other leg/foot aching so much too and I've googled exercises for weak legs that I'm starting to do daily . It can only help x

• Posted

Like others have said glad we are not alone with our pàin. I will also try googling leg exercises take care
  • Posted

Hi Oxejess and Pauline

i paid for private  physio this week and it was the best £40 I have parted with.  She watched me walk and we had a long chat about symptoms.  Then she massaged and manipulated my foot and gave me a list of exercises to do.  Apparently the muscles and tendons around my metatarsals had bunched up due to me trying not to put weight on my big toe and this is what was causing the pain.

We went through the exercises together and I can do them when in the kitchen cooking holding on the units for support. Standing on my tip toes, stretching hamstrings, picking up a tissue and marbles with my toes etc.  etc

She also told me to keep the scar really moisturised and showed me how to massage my foot so that I can separate my toes and isolate and release these tendons.  

It was worth it because I am now pain free and walking 3 miles a day.  The pain in my knee and hi has gone and I feel much happier.

• Posted

That is great news. I tried to contact a private clinic twice but they never rang me back. I was lucky the waiting list for a NHS one at my surgery was very short. I am pleased with the progress I have made but I need to see a lot more. I will try the exercises you mentioned above and add them to my routine. Thank you for your advice. Good luck to you and well done 😀😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.