Aching leg after standing

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 14 weeks post op and doing well as far as bend,straightening etc is concerned. I've just been standing for about 1 1/2 hours doing some cooking and my leg still aches dreadfully. (Ok now I'm sitting down) I don't want to bore those who know me from other threads and refer to my hamstring problems, but I just wondered how those of you at a similar stage or further along get on when standing for a while. I get the pain mainly down the back of thigh and knee. I know one of you on here is returning to work in a school kitchen. I know I just could never cope with that! Just hope to find out things will improve šŸ˜Š JenĀ 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen

I'm about 18/19 weeks now and still can't stand for long periods, I tend to get an ache behind my knee and some lower backache but I think the back has more to do with realignment more than anything. I was speaking to a colleague the other day and he is about 9 months now and his knee still aches after standing for a while. I think it's one of those things Jen that's going to take some time, it's the long game I'm afraid, just know you're not alone

Debx

• Posted

Thanks, Deb. It's good to know I'm not alone. Just have to learn to deal with it I suppose. X
  • Posted

jennifer why don't you do your cooking sitting down? Spending 90 minutes standing can be avoided if you settle yourself at your kitchen table, chopping board, good knife, bowl for the flour and everything you need within easy reach whilst sitting down. I can't stand for long either and the aching kills me, especially standing at the cash desk in supermarkets. Now when I cook I prepare everything I need at a table. You will be surprised how interesting it is to collect everything you need, put on the radio and sit down and enjoy the chopping and kneading. Ā Do give it a try. The hamstrings are killing at times I know so do try to sit more often and never stand for so long. I don't know why we should feel guilty about sitting down. Ā Do you? Ā So grab yourself a chair and sit there and read other posts. You will discover, just as I have, that there are so many more people suffering more than we do. And they can't cook!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. I've accepted sitting down to iron so I'll have to try to organise myself to sit down more when cooking. It's not so easy when you're cooking at the stove and washing up though! I hate the standing at the supermarket too. I've started doing scan as you shop whenever I can.Ā 
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

Oh yes, my leg still aches & becomes stiff if I'm on my feet too long. I don't have pain in the same area as you however. I've started having pain in my ankle & shin area on my TKR leg. I don't know if the pain is connected to my TKR or if it is arthritis flaring up in that area. Yesterday was the worst as it ached all day, and almost made me want to get out my pain meds again!

I'm going for a physical next week and will ask the doctor if I can have the area x-rayed. I'm hoping it's part of the TKR healing and not arthritis, as they can't give me a new leg!

I also used a 2 lb weight yesterday on my ankle for my leg lifts. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? They used the weight when I was going to therapy once a week, but don't recall the pain in my shin so severe as it was yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you Jen, after a nights rest.

Betty šŸŽƒ

• Posted

Hi Betty, sorry to hear you've been suffering too. I get a bit of pain in my ankle when walking sometimes and I know I've got arthritis in my foot. It's probably the TKR causing the pain though especially as you get it in the shin too. I know what you mean about the exercises. You just don't know if you put too much strain on yourself do you? I still struggle to accept all these pains and just want to get back to normal. Silly I know. I just want someone to tell me that it was painful for so many weeks/months but eventually they were pain free! Wishful thinking? I hope not - that's all that keeps be going. Hope you get less pain tomorrow too. Jen xx
  • Posted

Good morning Jenn......I too tried to cook but kept it short (crock pot) . Well, one thing led to another, I was feeling pretty good. BUT THEN my knee started talking to me and Ā said, "sit your butt down". My knee was swollen , my back was aching , WOW. GUESS NWHEN WE THINK WE ARE DOING WELL, WE STILL HAVE TO TAKE IT SLOW. Ā I Ā even had to take something for pain when I went to bed.....not to mention my husband was upset at me for trying to do too. Much while he was running errands. Ā Today, I will exercise ONLY. Ā HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER TODAY. šŸ˜Š

Ā 

• Posted

well said , im trying the keep on the move thing , it came to me that if i was moving the blood will flow was better , did drop all my meds but then decided that i still needed the naproxin and ice but i do seem to doing slightly longer each day .x
  • Posted

well jen that would be me going back to work , yesterday i was on my feet all day ,and when i got home i droped exhausted , so i decided that when i start work im going to sit every 2 hours and ice , plenty of that at work , but the thing at work is i need to go back before i go mad , i was thinking that if i was walking arround it would keep the blood flowing , and the jobs that i have to stand stillish i would be that busy i wont notice till ive finished ,its amazing how much you can do when your busy trying to serve these kids , was kind of thinking along the lines of more walking the better my knees will feel / so thats the plan of actoin , fingers crossed ,and if it doesnt work out well ill just have Ā to take more time out , will let you know how it goes x
    • Posted

Sorry Debbie, when I was writing the first post I couldn't remember who it was working at the school. I'm sure you'll be fine and sounds like a good plan. Any chance of sitting down to do any prep jobs perhaps? I think you're right, walking about is better than standing still. I can understand your need for getting back to normal and keeping busy. I want to be fit enough to look after my grandson after Christmas. Good luck! Jen x
  • Posted

thanks jen , not even a small chance of sitting , prep work for that amount is like an op its self lol Ā ,every thing has to be done on time or the whole kitchen goes onto melt down , we had no electric once and had to make sandwhiches for all and paper plates Ā ,never want to do that again , its like a huge jigsaw that all comes together at the same time smile x
  • Posted

I am 16 weeks post op. Now on holiday in Cyprus , been on an all day round the island trip . Up and down on the coach . Thus evening my knee. Is killing me will use a stick to go down to dinner . Just shows takes a while , and I am so exhausted x
    • Posted

Hi Pam, hope you can enjoy your holiday. You need to pace yourself I suppose. Although I don't wish you any ill I am reassured that you're still finding it tough. I'm 14 weeks post op and have been out to the seaside with the family today, a nice walk along the front (fish & chips). Home then a bit of baking then a bit of shopping at local shops and my leg was really hurting! It's as if the whole of the rest of my body wants to behave normally but the leg still refuses! So frustrating!! It must be so hard when you're on holiday. I find a glass of wine helps so I hope you had one with your dinneršŸ˜Š šŸø Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. Jen xx
  • Posted

Still very painful today, I hope you are feeling betterĀ 
    • Posted

Aaww, that's a shame, Pam. I went shopping to Tesco and was aching again when I got back. I seem to last about an hour then have to sit down. Hope you'll improve after a rest today. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.