Aching Legs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm 17 days post op and am up and about having a short walk around the block each day too but also still resting lots. I wondered whether any of you have experienced really achy legs?

My right leg started aching last weekend around my calf so I went to the doctors Monday and they checked my calf, measured it etc. They did a wells dvt check online and I came up low risk. There's no swelling, redness, warmth or pitting so he wasn't concerned but told me to ring them if I'm concerned again or ring 999 if I get breathless.

The aching has come and gone during the last few days but yesterday ramped up and I had aching from my calf down my leg and up into my thigh right up to my butt. I woke at 1am with horrendous leg pain and laid there for two hours worrying so in the end we called 111 and spoke to them then the doc called me back. He doesn't think it's dvt as no redness or swelling and from all the check points we went through but said to call my doc for another chat if I'm still concerned over the next few days.

Feel shattered today 😴My leg isn't too bad this morning and is fine when I walk, it's just when I'm resting.

My tummy and groin is really sore today so I don't feel like waking about too much....

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed for DVT last year pain started on right leg likw growing pains than week later i could not walk. I am not sure what kind of test you took, but i had an ultrasound on my leg and that is how i found out. My suggestion is to really make sure yoi dont have DVT. DVT is very serious and if gets worse can affect your heart and could be fatal.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks Creedes. They just checked my leg over, measured my calves and did the online Wells test for dvt.

Was your pain up and down the whole leg and did it feel better when you were up walking about? Mine is fine when I'm walking it's just when I'm resting.

Two doctors have now given their opinion and aren't concerned. The doc I spoke to in the early hours this morn said there is a blood test but it's not always accurate especially after surgery but they could do an ultrasound scan.

I thought I'd see how I am over the next few days. I am usually a really fit active 41yr old and my body isn't used to sitting/lying around. I've also had to sleep on my back since my op which I don't eve do so I wonder if it's just my muscles....

• Posted

Please do the ultarasounnd my leg wasnt swollen at all my blood clot went all into my groin. Please lmk what you decide..

Aloha

• Posted

What was your pain like? Was it painful when you walked too or just when resting?
    • Posted

Ok, well my leg is ok when I'm walking but it's when I'm resting it aches.

I'll ring my doctors surgery again today just for a chat and see what they say.

Did you know it had got to your groin?

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to learn that this is happening to you.  I do think you need to go to A&E, DVT's are very serious!  

Two of my friends had them, and all they felt were severe aches!  There were no outward signs.  Clots travel, so please get this checked out! xxx

• Posted

Hiya,

Been back to the doctors and he's arranged ab ultrasound scan for Sunday morning so I feel happier about that. If I feel any worse beforehand then I'll go to A&E...

Thanks for your messages. X

• Posted

You're welcome!  Please let me know how you get on!  xxx

• Posted

Yes i am very happy hearing that. Can anyone explain to me how to add a picture.. The drs could not beleive how big my clot was and i was waliking and no swelling. The danger was i was 5 months pregnant which really complicated the whole situation as far as i was only able to givr myself Lovenox shots twice a day to myself in my abdomen to prevent clot from getting worse. I wasnt able to take the medecine to get rid of it.i also went to acupuncture which also helped my recovery.

Aloha

• Posted

Gosh how scarey being pregnant at the time of that happening....

I love acupuncture, had it many times and am convinced it helped us conceive via IVF. I had a few sessions prior to my op to help my bladder and once I'm driving I'll go and have some more to help my recovery too 😉

Just need to get through tom and be ready for scan on Sunday morn.

• Posted

Yes please get that done...

Today is my 11th day since my surgery...i can officially say that i dont need pain meds anymore. As soon as you can walk, walk it really does help with pain

Aloha

• Posted

Yes walking does help. I was still so sore from bruising though which really hurt.

You're doing fab 👍Well done

• Posted

Well I had my ultrasound scan this morning and they didn't find any blood clots so that's reassuring. They scanned right up from my groin down the leg.

Im hoping it's just muscle aches from where my body isn't used to resting so much. I'm normally very active! Hope it's that and nothing else related to the op....time will tell I guess.

Thanks for your messages everyone 😉

• Posted

Well, glad to know that they didn't find any blood clots!  

As an aside, both of my friends were on the patch for birth control or HRT. But they weren't aware that the patch could cause blood clots--that's one of the reasons I research and read all the side effects before I put any prescription pill in my mouth.  I also check for interactions.

So now you have some relief in knowing that you're okay and can go about the business of getting well! xx

Please let us know how you're doing! 

• Posted

Yes indeed Lynda. I'm the same about researching everything before I take any meds, hence why I didn't want to take Esmya.

I feel so relieved having had the scan and can now get on with recovery.

Did you have an abdominal cut? My tummy has gone down but it's swollen about an inch above my incision but I guess that's normal and will go down over time....

• Posted

No.  I had the one with small incisions where they pump gas into you.  It does take time for your incisions to resolve, though, longer, I think for the larger ones.  More to knit together.  

Keep on keeping on1  smile  Let me know how you're doing! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.