Aching mucles after hip and knee replacements

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last year in June i had a total hip replacement and in November i had a total knee replacement, after each operation i followed the rules and only did the necessary exercises plus a little extra walking etc. I am now 8 moths post op of both and trying to get back to my line dancing but after a few hours the next day my legs really ache..is this normal? I feel i have to rest up for at least a day or so. My PT is happy with the bend in my leg but i am feeling frustrated with the pain after dancing, i also experience pain in my calves when dancing

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think that it may still be early days for regular dancing ,my husband is 7 months post Knee replacement and is desperate to get back to badminton and tennis but finds it difficult .He has been told that it can take up to 18 months for all the internal work to repair so he is making sure that he walks and stretches every day. He has had a bit of sciatica to contend with and feels that the stretching excercises recommended by his physio are slowly having an effect.He did manage a short game of table tennis last week and felt comfortable after that.

Good luck with your recovery I am sure that you will soon build up the strength in your legs and feel comfortable when dancing.

• Posted

Thanks Flic, think maybe i have been over doing things and expect to much too soon, it is hard hope your hubby's recovery goes well too

• Posted

You need to tell them i was the same with a tkr after 9mths started getting pain across the knee did everything that they told me excercises . Get them to sort it i had a ultra scan and they found out tendons and ligements have not contaed to the knee replacement.

• Posted

My knee is okay Anna no pain there much better after the replacement, it's just my muscles in my calves and a bit of a strain in my hip, suppose it's going to take time, very frustrating though one minute your up then the next down, thanks for the reply, good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement in December 2018. now almost 10 months post op am I starting to feel some relief from muscle aches. I have done physio, massage and accupuncture but think that ir just takes time to feel like we can accomplish the things we want to do. My surgeon told me to just enjoy life and stop physio and let the body heal. I do stretches every day but worry less about the strength building for now. I am already pretty strong, but always room to build more strength once I am past the terrible recovery time. I was pretty upset with the muscle pain and a little frightened because I thought it would never go away, but every day does get a bit better

• Posted

Thanks Deigh, hope it will go soon,it is quite upsetting

• Posted

The exercises the PTs give you do not really address the strength training you need to restore your musculature to pre-op levels. This takes many months of dedicated work you can do in a gym or at home with a good set of exercise bands and maybe a bike. The muscles involved are basically quads, glutes, core and hip flexors. Your calves hurt because they're doing the work those other muscles should be doing but can't because they're too weak. This isn't rocket science. When certain muscles can't handle the load, the body shifts the function to other muscles that were previously not used for that specific activity...hence the aches and pains.

My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and a personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine. I asked her to devise a program for me and others in the same situation. Here it is...

Muscle Rebuild

Again...gym or at home but you have to focus on rebuilding those specific weak or atrophied muscles. Also again...this takes time, maybe 4-6 months of dedicated effort. In the end, it's TOTALLY worth it as all that other pain just disappears. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Chico, probably just needed that encouragement, had a big weekend dancing and am sore and aching, over done it but will work on the muscle building

• Posted

Hi still early days for line dancing. You should take it easy listen to your body if it tells you to rest then do it. Good luck

• Posted

Yes you are probably right, think i have been over doing but we have dancing weekends and it's hard not to join in plus i think my teacher thinks i could dance non stop now i'v had the replacements. Think i will have a word with her. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.