Achy hurting joints

Posted , 11 users are following.

I really don't know if this is PMR related but the last two days I have been suffering from joint pain in many joints in my body. I have been taking my pain pills that I take for my back and that hasn't helped to relieve the pain so yesterday I took an extra 5 mg of Prednisone and I got no relief from that either. I sent a message to my doctor yesterday but she never picked up her messages.

Do you think I should try a higher dose of prednisone then the extra 5 I did yesterday? I'm currently on 13 mg of Prednisone and this is my third week of it. So it doesn't really make a lot of sense that it's PMR especially since it didn't respond to the extra 5 mg. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The recommendation is to take an extra 5 mg. Why not stay with the extra five for a couple more days and if you're still noticing no improvement seek doctor's advice . You simply might not be getting an expected miracle rapid improvement which so many get when they go on pred in the beginning. I'm one who improved slowly over about 60 hours in the beginning, so I tend not to expect improvement in 24 hours, and after being on pred for a while maybe our bodies respond differently now?

• Posted

Clarifying - expect much improvement in 24 hours. I guess I'd expect a little.

• Posted

Amkoffe, PMR normally is in muscles not joints, I would try ibuprofen or naproxen myself and see if that gives you any relief. Good luck, hope you feel better. Think positive. 🙂

• Posted

Anhaga thank you so much for responding. I can't take ibuprofen or Naproxen because it causes me a lot of stomach upset, vomiting Etc. And you might just be right that I need to give it another day. I did try to contact my doctor yesterday but she never responded. That really surprises me because she is very good about contacting me back right away. So I'm assuming she and her nurse were out yesterday because the email I sent stands opened. I just made an appointment with immediate care. That's kind of like going to the doctor's office. It's not quite the emergency room but they're open when doctors offices are closed. I'm suspecting that they may just up my pred but I don't know. You would think with my opiates I wouldn't have a problem with it but holy cow I'm in a lot of pain.

• Posted

Yes I can take aspirin. That might be a good idea
    • Posted

Yes, it was first used to alleviate rheumatism. And Bufferin Buffered Aspirin, is easier on the stomach.

That would be my first choice. Good luck. 🙂

• Posted

Hi amkoffe

The Synovial joints attached to muscles are affected in PMR....so yes your joints can be affected with PMR...you need to take the extra 5mg pred for more than a day to get results..give it five days to a week and see if the pain improves...best wishes...

• Posted

Hi, Yes the joints are affected with PMR I have it alot mainly in the morning but I have it.

• Posted

There might be different kinds of PMR. I always felt untreated PMR, before I knew what it was, felt like the pain you get from excessive exercise, only it never went away and gradually got worse and worse. Joint pain and stiffness to me is different and attributed, accurately I believe, to osteoarthritis. And yet, like you, many do feel PMR as joint pain. I vaguely remember reading something about it having to do with the synovial fluid, or whatever the space in the joint is called where the fluid is produced.
    • Posted

I do have OA in a few joints and tendonitis in my right elbow. But these pains are in many other joints that have never hurt before. Particularly in my ankles are hurting really bad. And on the top of my right foot is a bone that has arthritis in it. But it's both feet that are hurting.

• Posted

Your description of first untreated PMR, is exactly how I experienced it at first.   Now, I can usually tell the difference between overused muscle and PMR pain, but it can be confusing.  Many people also have RA along with PMR, so that is a possibility in addition to osteoarthritis, for joint pain.  One Diagnostic criteria for RA is an MRI showing synovial fluid leaking from the swollen joint.    
  • Posted

I know a lot of doctors say PMR is "joints" - but that has never been my experience. 

It might take a few days for 5mg extra to help and I suppose it might make sense to see if pred helps before you speak to your doctors, it removes one unknown.

• Posted

Most PMR patients start on around 20 mg. So it sounds as though you are on a low dose. I agree with those who say wait a day or so before seeing results.
  • Posted

I do hope the medics are able to accurately diagnose the problem if the increased dose of prednisone does not relieve your pain. If only our collective will that you soon feel better were enough to bring you relief. Do let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.