Achyness when not Cold

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

My doctor recently diagnosed me with primary raynauld's,however, I've had it since I was little. I just didn't know what it was yet. My hands and feet turn a purplish color when I am cold. When that happens, the joints in my hands ache which, I guess, is what makes the muscles in my arms ache. I was wondering if any of you have achy joints and muscles when you are not cold. Since I am adopted, I do not have any knowledge of my medical history. However, so far I have not been diagnosed with any other medical conditions. If anyone could give me any reason or assumptions of why I am aching even when I am not cold, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone has this symptom also, please don't hesitate and answer my question either. Thank you smile 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Megan,

My second son as Raynauds, and he hates it because there really isn't any treatment as such to control it. Because he works in retail in one of the superstores, one of his jobs is re-stocking freezers (possibly the worse job, with a condition like this!).

People wonder why he wears gloves in the summer, a long with long sleeved hoodies, etc. But he also, suffers from skin allergies - no one else in the family does. Raynauds, I expect you have looked up and seen how it can be worse with some people than others.

Initially, after leaving school he said he was going to by a moped to get to work, but taking Raynauds in to the equation made him change his mind so instead he took driving lessons and bought a car.

He gets aching in muscles and joints moreso int the autumn/winter times, he literally sits in front of his bedroom radiator and is still looks bad circulation.

If you look up raynauds, there are ways to avoid it taking over your life, alcohol is one thing he never touches now, he found it was worse. Click on Related information > Raynauds Phenomenon at the side of this post for more information.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les,

Thank you for sharing your son experience with Raynauds with me. I also get achy joints and muscles when I'm cold and do suffer from eczema, but I was wondering if your son feels achiness when he is not cold as well. I have started noticing when I'm in a room that I am pretty content in, I still feel the achiness in my joints and muscles, but the pain isn't as severe as it would be if I was really cold. I was wondering if that is a common symptom.

• Posted

You're welcome Megan,

He also has an allergic reaction to privet hedge, so he cannot cut our hedges.

The worse times of year is the Autumn/Winter times, when the temperature drops so Raynauds kicks in quicker. But, in the spring/summer he has to dress the same even if it is very hot outside - people give him strange looks, but he just ignores them. 

A typical example is he can have a bath, and come out with reddish/purple feet, ankles, legs up to his knees, his hands and elbows are the same colour which aches  - his joints are the worse areas, which are a dark purple.

When you state muscles, are you referring moreso to the calf muscles? Because that is the muscles that are more prone to aching, than anywhere else.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Oh my goodness! Your son has Raynauds worse than I do. I'm sorry! I hope it doesn't cause him too much discomfort this season. I get purple/red hands and feet after I take a bath too, but I do not get those colors anywhere else. And to answer your question about the achiness. Yes, I do ache there and especially my elbows and the joints in my fingers ache constantly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.