Acid Reflux

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone this is my first time on here and I'm hoping you can advise me.

I'm a 50 year old female in good health but recently have been suffering with acid reflux. I was going through a stressful time at work and I'm convinced this brought on the symptoms.

I already had a Consultant I was seeing because I had my gallbladder out last September so I returned to him for advice. He initially prescribed omeprazole and gaviscon but I found the omeorazole gave me a dry mouth so he switched it to lansoprazole. I haven't taken it yet because I don't want to become reliant on it and the list of side effects is long!

I find the symptoms worse at night sometimes I wake up with a burning pain but if I take some gaviscon I can normally get back to sleep.

Does anyone have any experience of lansoprazole? Is this a short term thing I don't want to take keep taking medication.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lansoprazol didnt work for me so i switched to esomeprazol (Nexium) that didnt do too much either, this is since Oct last year, i believe it was brought on by stress as my mother who is 84 had to have a big op, which went ok in the end, but i started to question my own health etc and i think it caused all this to happen.....

• Posted

Dear carolina

It could be the menopause causing these symptoms as i started to get abdominal problems at 51, yes the Oneprezole does give a dry mouth abmnd after so long on it, it gave me a terrible gassy stomach, i then switched to Zantac but with like most medications they have side effects. The problem did eventuallyvresolve itself but did take time.

• Posted

Dear carolina

It could be the menopause causing these symptoms as i started to get abdominal problems at 51, yes the Oneprezole does give a dry mouth abmnd after so long on it, it gave me a terrible gassy stomach, i then switched to Zantac but with like most medications they have side effects. The problem did eventuallyvresolve itself but did take time.

• Posted

Yes, was taking it for years after doc 'guessed' that I might have too much acid. I believe the opposite is true as food tKes ages to digest. Can eat cucumber and still belch it out TEN hours later (no longer eat the evil stuff, lol). Seriously, everyone different but if Gaviscon works see if doc will prescribe that instead.
  • Posted

I have been taking Lansoprozle for about 10 yrs it has transformed my life, no pain it's WONDERFUL. I get an occasional flare up, increase the dose and problem solved then back to normal dose. It's a drug which heals your insides, Gaviscon doesn't do that. It maybe short term. You certainly don't take it long term without an endoscopy.

my advice is try it and don't be put off by all the horror stories and list of side effects. Driving or being a passenger in a car is much more dangerous but no one gives up the car because of the risk of injury or death, give it a thought 

• Posted

I'm glad someone else feels gaviston is evil. I cannot use any kind of antacid that has an anaseed or mint flavour as it burns my stomach on the way down. In fact I've had to give up gum and on the odd occasion just brushing my teeth with fluoride can have the the same effect. Lansoprazole I can live with.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the advice 10 years seems a long time to take a drug but yes you are probably right it is dangerous in cars these days maybe I will try it and see. I've got a cough now so I'm worried the acid has caused that.
  • Posted

Hi like you I didn't respond well to omeprazole but was switched to lansoprazole which I have been taking for the past 5 years. I'm on 30mg but this can be increased when I'm having a bad spell.

I too have concerns about the long term effects this may have but for now it does the trick.

Donna

• Posted

Bile reflux is common after gallbladder removal. I eat a lot of candied ginger. A small teensey bit with water works great. And I am keeping my servings below 3 grams of fat. Fat causes me issues.
    • Posted

Hiya I didn't know that about ginger do you have it in the mornings or before a meal?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.