Acid Reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had this condition for a number of years and am on Omeprazole daily.

A few years ago I started suffering acute pains in my lower chest, in the middle, and upper stomach. I thought I was suffering from wind so a few mouthfuls of Diet Pepsi seemed to relieve the symptoms. Over a period of time the symptoms got worse and my daughter thought I was suffering an allergy to the artificial sweetners, as I was also using sweeteners in my tea and coffee at the time. I stopped using the sweetners and my symptoms got better. However the past few days have been terrible. After every meal I am experiencing the same pains and only get relief if I vomit. Can this be an acceleration of my acid reflux? I have not changed my diet or eating habits but am very stressed at the moment. I read somewhere that stress can increase the symptoms. 

Any advice would be great

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fern,  I have the same issue and am also on omeprazole.  I discovered recently that it can increase the incidence of pancreatitis.  Following a low fat diet, avoiding alchohol and staying well hydrated are recommended.  
  • Posted

Hi fern do you still have your gallbladder? Unfortunately ppi drugs can cause gallbladder problems and increase the incidence of pancreatitis as Kelley as pointed out particularly if you've been on them a long time. If your still taking the tablets I would stop to see if you improve. Lots of studies are now saying that we should only take these drugs for a short time and that the real cause of reflux is actually not enough stomach acid as opposed to too much as we have all been told for years. They can also cause low magnesium and I think one of the symptoms may be vomiting. I would get to your doctor and get your magnesium levels checked. Anyone taking these drugs long term should be taking magnesium. Someone here recently developed dreadful side effects from the drugs due to low magnesium. Take care xx
  • Posted

I have still got my gallbladder and have been taking Omeprazole for 5 or 6 years. I did stop it for a couple of months but the acid was causing me more problems so I just started them again.  A vicious circle.
    • Posted

When you come off these drugs you will get a rebound effect as they stop your stomach producing acid and when you stop your stomach will start producing acid again and you will get this rebound effect. It is only temporary and only last a while. You could try digestive enzymes which are a natural alternative. I would try and get off the drugs if you can to stop any further side effects. I have been on and off them for over 12 years and have had my gallbladder removed and reflux surgery. Have stopped them 6 months ago and hope not to have to take them again. X
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments. I am not really happy having to take drugs anyway and checkups are few and far between in our local GP clinic. I am going to try and find an alternative. 
    • Posted

Fern if you can find a good alternative doctor or naturopath or try Chinese medicine. I've been attending an acupuncturist the last few months and am taking herbs which are really helping me and milk thistle also. Digestive enzymes might help you get off the drugs. I'm also taking them. Doctors are too quick to prescribe these drugs and not tell people of the side effects. You should try and take magnesium to see if your symptoms improve. You can get magnesium oil that you rub on your skin and has less side effects. Hope you feel better soon. Take care x
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with gallstones Christmas last year. When I was talking to a GP I said I was confused because not only was I getting stomach pains after i had eaten but also first thing in the morning before I had eaten.

He ws very quick to put this down to acid reflux and gave me Omeprazole.

I had my gallbladder removed at the end of April and came off Omeprazole for a while.

But I am still getting these pains first thing in morning. Am back on them.

I am going to see another GP who I really like on Tuesday next week to hopefully sort out what is going on.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Fern I was diagnosed with Acid reflux and was this and IbS I have was causing the pain, but last year I had a scan and was told my gallbladder was full of gallstones and the acid reflux was not just the IBS, I have had to have the gallbladder out last November still have some colicky pains and quite a bit of bloating and also some nerve and groin pain up to waist, believe this sometimes happens when gallbladder is removed.  If you've not already had your gallbladder out this could be the problem, hope you get sorted Stella
  • Posted

Thank you for all your replies...they have given me plenty to think about. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.