Acid Reflux

Posted , 9 users are following.

does anyone get acid reflux with their diverticulitis disease?  If so how do you deal with it?  Is there anything that sets it off? Anything that helps it's?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I take gaviscon it really helps me 
    • Posted

Oh thank you for coming back to me.  I've never had this before so at a loss as to what to do.  I'll try Gaviscon.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Have you ever been tested for a hiatus hernia?  I have DD and got acid reflux, but the camera down my throat also showed hiatus hernia and gastritis.  I cut out out acidic and spicy food as well as the fatty food and gluten I exclude for DD, and that helps within a couple of days.  But Gavescon is also excellent.  I take it after a drink just before bed.  You shouldn't take anything after the Gavescon, hence my timing.

• Posted

Hello Felina thank you for your last post to me, this morning i recived a letter from my CT scan even though i made a phone call to hospital for results, was only told no malignancy found, but they would send out a full report, which they have,it tells me i have a large hiatus hernia, and severe diverticulosis of the sigmoid, however im now stressed out reading this, i saw in your post to me you have hiatus hernia? ? How do you deal with it? Must admit of late i have had a lot of heartburn, but really stuppid me although its painful, did,t think to much about it, putting my DD first, what id like to know how serious is this and is it to do with D,D? Im so worried now, have no one to ask these questions, gp 3 weeks for app, please would you or any one on here advice me regards to this report im sorry to bother any one but im at my wits end Thank you all on here for your kindness
    • Posted

My daughter and sister in law both have hiatus hernia they have had them for years. They eat what they should and take the medication they are given. Both lead healthy lives   They don't have any problems with them. I haven't heard of hernias being dangerous 

• Posted

I too have had my hiatus hernia for many years, only known about for 6 when consultant found it on my scan for DD.  It hasn't really caused me any trouble except for just lately I am having this horrible feeling of a lump in my throat.  Dr isn't concerned about it says it is either my hernia or something which I can't remember the name of which is caused by stress.  have had a lot of stress lately so hoping that it will go as things calm down.  But in the meantime taking Gaviscon in the evening - yuk but it does seem to be helping.

• Posted

Hi Maureen

As far as I am aware DD and hiatus hernia (HH) are not linked.  With hindsight I had my HH for many many years, long before my DD.  I would often get the burning sensation which I quickly linked to acidic products and certain additives to foods.  HH is very common and rarely needs anything more that dietary changes and some medication.  It is stomach acid splashing up due to a weakness in the stomach wall (I think), known as acid reflux.  I avoid acidic, spicy and full fat food, and try not to overeat - in fact much the same as for managing my DD.  There are medications that can be bought over the counter, like Gavescon, or the doctor can prescribe something like Lanzoprazole a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI).  There seems to be some concensus that PPI should not be taken long term. 

There is a paper on this site explaining about Hiatus Hernia.  I have a medium sliding hernia - the most common type, and I do not have GORD (gastro oesophegus reflux disease) which is a bit more serious.  If it wasn't mentioned in your report I would assume you don't have it either.  So I wouldn't worry yourself, as the DD management will go a long way to managing the HH.  When I do get some reflux, I just watch my diet extra carefully and take a dose of Gavescon last thing at night.

• Posted

Hi Felina,thank you so much for getting back to me, knew you would put my mind at rest, and will take your advice, i think for now i will stay with the gaviescon for time being, till i see the hospital dr in March,all that worried me more when it said i had a large hiatus hernia and saying there was severe dd of the sigmoid, as i thought normal dd, not severe has i had,nt been told that when i was diagnosed so it was a shocking reading that, unless thats the terms used for dd.im trying very hard to add something new every day it,s no to sauces,sadly but it was nice at the time lol live and learn, as you said im not very good at medical paper results that,s why i asked won,t go on google as it,s too frighting thank you so much and to every hope you all keep well
  • Posted

Hi yes i also get this too, and like the rest i take gaviscon, so hope this helps you, its bad enough with dd, never mind acid reflux, but i don,t eat or drink anything with acid in,
    • Posted

Oh gosh so many of you get it! I have been to get some Gavison so will give it a go.  I'll let you know.  Yuk tastes horrible! sad

• Posted

It comes in 2 flavours- peppermint and aniseed.  I find the aniseed disgusting but the peppermint OK.
    • Posted

Hello Felina, two weeks ago today, i had appointment to see the hospital dr, sadly it was a locum, who i might add was very rude, i took a list of questions with me to ask, he was not amused, since last April i had lost over 2 stone, then in october i had DD, and was,nt coping very well with my food just having bland food,my husband being my carrier asked if i could be referred to a diecition, no was the answer we don,t do that here, he promptly gave me a copy from google, i explained id all ready done that anyway he then decide,s i need a ct scan to see if the reason for weight loss was something else, yes i did panic,he then told hubby to cook me anything, that id soon know the next day if it did,nt suit me, not good enough to say that,however i had ct scan results come back no malignancy found , i phoned to ask to see the top dr, have appointment in march just to why im i losing so much weight do you think i was right?also as ive been lucky enough not to have a flare up, can i try sauces ie tomatoe salad cream etc,i have read jono in divi diners, im so fed up with this DD and boring food, but you probably feel all feel the same i hate this terrible DD, thank you and all the others for so much help
    • Posted

I think it's good that you had the CT scan and it didn't show anything sinister.  You say you have been losing weight since last April.  If you think back to then, did you start eating differently for any reason?  Many people with DD find they do lose weight, as they are actually eating far less than before, out of fear that it will upset them.  But you don't have to stay on the boring food forever.  The doctor may have been less than tactful, but you can try tiny bits of different food, one at a time, and see if they affect you over the next 48 hours.  If not you can slowly start to expand your menu.  One poster on this forum started with 2 chicken nuggets!  So you can try a dash of tomato sauce.  When you see the doctor in March do make sure you have all your questions ready.  Does you local GP clinic have a dietician you could be referred to - mine does?  Best wishes.

• Posted

I was told by one DR there wasn't any dietitians but another one has got me an appointment. I have lost a lot of weight but like falinia says it's because I now eat less and have cut out a lot of fatty foods. Iam carful what I eat no nuts seeds red meat spicy foods I try to cook most things in the oven. 

• Posted

I had an upper scope and I have Gerd, a hiatal hernia, and Barrett's esophagus. I have a hard time between all of those and the diverticulitis. sad

• Posted

Oh my word Kim poor you.  I am so sorry.  I feel a wimp now complaining about my ailments!  

I have got the mint gaviscon and it reminds me of milk magnesia that my dad used to give me as a child! sad

• Posted

I have an hiatus hernia too as well as acid reflux .

I don't eat acidic or spicy foods plus I take pantoprazole tablets , one daily

prescribed by my doctor plus my doctor gives me peptac on prescription

Which is exactly the same as Gaviscon . I have the aniseed has the mint

makes my acid worse !

• Posted

My Dr has prescribed me the pantoprazole tablets but he said to try the Gaviscon first.  So giving it a go and then see how I feel. Blooming 'eck it is all never ending, until I was 60 I didn't have any ailments at all ....  still it could be worse, so keep calm and carry on smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.