Acid reflux and antibiotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am currently having treatment for hpylori, this giving me acid reflux, Before taking the anibiotics I could eat without any difficulty, but during the first day I found when eating that when the food went down my oesophagus I had a feeling of burning or soreness, has amyone else had this experience also wondering if the ppi's that I am taking are the culprit, I read somewhere thatt an inflamed oesophagus can seem sorer even when the oesophagus is getting better because the changes with tresatment can make the oesophagus more sensitive or sores

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you are taking antibiotics I would suggest taking probiotics and drinking milk Kefir if you can get it, all info online.
  • Posted

Proton pump inhibitors reduce production of stomach acid, I not medical but in my view and speaking from experience of using them they cause havoc, I think much of many peoples problems is low stomach acid from what I have found out, but as I say I am not a Doctor.
  • Posted

Are you only taking Antibiotics for it? My doctor prescribed PPI with the Antibiotics to counters the effects of Acid Reflux when I had HPylori.

I find that drinking water helps but the problem is nausea when taking the all those Antibiotics, so makes it difficult to drink a lot of water.

• Posted

Hi AngelsKiss, yes I am taking antibiotics. I also went to a walk in centre yesterday because my anxiety was through the roof, the reason was because my hpylori test came back borderline which made me convinced that I hadn't got it and instead had cancer!! The Dr I saw told me that basically borderline meant that I had got hpylori even though the test wasn't positive, if I hadn't got hpylori the test would have come back negative, he aslso reassured me about cancer saying that no red flags were indicated. I felt very reassured, but am now wondering how long after treatment the oesophagus takes to heal, the Dr told me it could be a while, he also told me about what and what not tyo do, I was eating apples daily which I've found out is bad for acid reflux, he also told me to drink lots of water especially when taking my does of medication, I think I have gotten myself into a state over the borderline test result and not having it explained to.yes
    • Posted

Hi Annette,

Don't know how long the esophagus takes to heal.

Good that you got the probiotics. By the way you don't have to wait until after the antibiotics to take then. You can take it 1 hour after taking the antibiotics. Also like I said before water helps with acid reflux.

Something else that works even though I have yet to do it is to put 6 inche blocks under the foot of the head of your bed on either side. My Cardiologist told me that 3 weeks after doing it I should see an improvement.

Hang in there and hope you heal soon.

All the bless.

AK

• Posted

Hi AngelsKiss, Did the ppi's work straightaway for you? I'm on day 4 of antibiotics a d 30mg PPI, but still getting soreness in my chest, it's fine when I rest, but the more I move the soerer it gets, I'm just anxious to know when I can expect some relic, having said that, my burning throat feels less troublesome and the burn across my stomach only flares a few times a day, it has definitely lessoned. Excuse any spelling mistakes, on my tablet! X x
    • Posted

Has you oesophagus healed?
    • Posted

PS, to answer your question, yes I am drinking water instead of tea and coffee, and thanks for info about probiotics, x x
  • Posted

Some more natural remedies I've read about, in fighting H pylori, are coconut oil, virgin olive oil, kefir/probiotic, turmeric, green tea, digestive enzymes, and garlic.
    • Posted

Hi Martin I took your advice and bought some probiotics, will take them after I finish the antibiotics, thank you for the information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.