Acid reflux and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone had severe acid reflux after going through an extreme bout of anxiety?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Oh my gosh yes! Whenever i would have extreme panic attacks my acid reflux could get very bad. My symptoms involve

-sharp pain on left side of the chest (rarely)

-burning pain in the center of the chest or upper abdomen

-shortness of breath

-sometimes a bit of vomiting

-sour taste in the back of the throat

-strangely i would get heart palpitations but not that often

-and when really severe it triggers a panic attack.

Ive had acid reflux since i was a little kid. But it wasnt as severe back then because i didnt have such health anxiety. Sometimes it so severe i think its like a heart attack. I took prilosec for a while but stopped taking it because i heard it could cause dementia ( much later in life ).

• Posted

Ugh, it's the worst! I have pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades, left arm pain, sore throat, cold feeling in my stomach and throat. I went to my gp today and she did an ekg to rule out heart attack. She did say I have a slight sinus arrhythmia so she referred me to the cardiologist. She wasn't really concerned, but she wants to be safe. Hopefully that goes well. Either way, the acid reflux is a pain literally!!!

• Posted

Yea, i had actually had numerous ecgs over the summer and they all came back normal except for sinus tachycardia. I also went to a cardiologist because of my fear of sudden cardiac arrest. He did an echo and another ecg and said everything was perfect! I also get some pvcs here and there but he said not to worry about those. I heard that sinus arrythmmias are common, but its good that you're seeing a cardiologist anyway just to be safe! Im pretty sure your heart is ok though!

As for acid reflux, i would try to avoid spicy food and all that, and drink a lot of water. But sometimes it could happen out of nowhere which really sucks.. sad and i love spicy food which makes it harder to cope with.

• Posted

Well that makes me feel better. Hopefully my tests come back perfect yoo! :-)

I'm definitely going to change my diet for the acid reflux. I seem to have it even if I haven't eaten anything. I've been under a lot of stress and dealing with health anxiety so maybe that's why.

Either way, thanks for replying!

• Edited

All the time. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal, because the anxiety stirs up the mind and stomach it causes the reflux. Anxiety and gerd go hand in hand

• Edited

That's what I was thinking. I've been really stressed and dealing with my health anxiety lately. Ugh, it's so exhausting.

• Edited

Yes omgggggg it is the worst , yes I have it , I get pains everywhere , especially in my upper back between my shoulders ugh and it gets tight makes me think I'm having a heart attack I get sharp pains in my side and chest , it gets intense , and as soon as I belch I feel the relief or pass gas , its horrible , I never new gas could be so brutal

• Posted

It really is! Can be very scary too as far as the pains go! I'm trying to change my diet so we'll see how that goes. I think my anxiety is causing it to be worse honestly. sad

• Posted

Its like food just sits in my chest for a long period of time I have to like walk my food down ,it takes me so long to burp , its horrible
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I'm on omeprozole for it which works a treat. I don't know whether it's caused by the anxiety or whether it's diet. My diet isn't the best tbf.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.