Acid Reflux and Gabapentin.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Only been on Gabapentin for 2 weeks and at a low dose but I have developed acid reflux. I have been off this medication for 6 days so I was hoping the acid reflux would go away. It hasn`t. My doctor told me to try Zantac but that hasn`t worked. I fortunately do not have heartburn but the bitter taste in my mouth constantly is just taking it`s toll.  I`m cutting out dairy and changing my diet but of course I am in the early stages so have just not got into this sudden dietery change.  I read so much on the next I would have thought there ws a prescription drug or over the counter drug that would help.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Drugs are so weird. I cant confirm that antibiotics caused my gerd for sure but i feel like its quite the coincidence just like you cant confirm 100 percent the gababpentin caused yours. Ive tried everything too and the gerd is still around after 8 months or something like that. I dont have a bitter taste but my throat is raw and sore all the time and I feel like my throat is swollen. It clicks and theres just something wrong with it. 

You may want to see docs to confirm its reflux that you have and not something else. 

• Posted

Thanks  for your response.  No we cannot confirm that a particularly drug brought on gerd but I feel it`s too much of a conincidence and my pharmacist checked and gabapentin can bring on acid reflux so I feel that pretty well confirms it.  Sorry to hear you have had this problem for 8 months.  I only know I have to find relief as this bitter taste constantly is just getting me down.  
  • Posted

Hi. Maybe try speaking to your doctor about PREGABALIN. it's from the same family as Gabapentin but in my experience a much better drug. That may cause the acid reflux to stop (I cannot guarantee it though. Just a hunch)

keep me updated. Thanks

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion re Pregabalin.  I will check it out. I don`t look forward to my meals anymore as I know what the after effect will be. I am losing weight so you have to look on the bright side!!  Thanks for your input.   
  • Posted

I am not a doctor so I can't recommend any medicine but I would like to share my experience. I tried Risek for 5 days and now its been 15 days I have'nt felt reflux problem.
  • Posted

I have to say I agree.  I have been battling this for over six weeks and nothing really helps except vinager and water.  I 've been taking all the same kinds of strategies u are and the probiotics and prescription Nexium, but also, my hot flashes are much worse. I'm anxious, and I haven't slept restfully, causing more issues.
    • Posted

You're likely experiencing the hot flashes, anxiety and insomnia due to an interaction between Nexium and gabapentin. Nexium causes 20% less gabapentin to be absorbed. So you're likely going through a precipitated withdrawal. I know this is three years late, but I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may see it.

• Posted

The instructions for gabapentin say not to take any antacid medication with it. My question is what are you supposed to do if you already have acid reflux ?
    • Posted

Geez I didn't know that, well have been taking antacids not alot as the one I take is a 12hr one... but it hasn't helped sad

• Posted

I've been taking it now for 2wks and my acid reflux is waking me .. totally leaving my whole throat and roof of my mouth burning and no amount of antacids help sad

I do take a Somac every morning which to help my gut with other meds but it's sure ain't helping this one.  And am always feeling off colour!

I was taking Lyrica for nerve pain but dr has made a switch to see if the Gabapentin if it helps better!

• Posted

Was just checking out the connection is more common in females usually 60+ and females taking BP meds!  I'm not 60 but I do take BP meds .. I hate this medication!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.