Acid reflux and heartburn post gallbladder removal op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I got my gallbladder out two weeks ago. A week ago I started experiencing painful heartburn and acid reflux. I'm terrified of putting anything in my mouth for fear of setting it off again. The doctor prescribed me PPIs 40 mg and it's my end day taking with not much relief. I just want to know if others out there have experienced the same post op and will it get better? I had these issues prior to removal and the doctors blamed the gallbladder. Now I'm thinking it may not have been all along. I had gallstones and a 4mm polyp and the doctor said the gallbladder was inflammed when he took it out so I keep telling myself I did the right thing otherwise I'll drive myself crazy. Please can I have your advice.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nopishut I had my op Oct 14 so almost a year ago and just afterwards I start having pain in my chest, back, neck  radiating to my back and heartburn lots and lots of heartburn. First I was prescribed many different PPIs because doctors thought it was just acid reflux. Nothing helped. I literally stop eating just like you I feared that would set it off. I was losing more and more weight ( lost 12 kgs) in couple of months. Then surgeon around December told me my valve must it stopped working so send me for some tests. Months later found out that it was all normal. My heartburn took 8 months to settle a bit more but then I start getting burning in my stomach and terrific nausea too. I've been diagnosed with esophageal spasms that causes my chest, back and neck pain. They have settled but today I still get horrific chest pains especially after I eat something more fatty. It has been really hard since the op. Everyday for months I 've felt scared, depressed, tired for not knowing what's really wrong with me. Last week I've finally saw a doctor that sent for a MRI so it's my last chance to see if something is wrong inside me. I was pregnant when start having horrific pain and later on I while waiting for op developed pancreatitis almost killing me. My sweet baby was 2 months old when had the op. I pray for this to get better but Ian still in pain and don't know what's causing it, perhaps bile?
    • Posted

Sounds like you have had a really hard time of it Leni and perhaps maybe we are few of the unlucky ones to have to go through all this. It's very difficult to know what the cause of it is and it's even more frustrating when the doctors can't seem to tell you either.

I ended up in a&e 5 times over the past couple of years and was told it was biliary colic caused by gallstones. I persevered for a few years and had bad bouts of heartburn and indigestion now and again in between. I finally took the plunge and got my gallbladder out and was looking forward to living pain free afterwards. Well that's not the case. The pain has come back that was described as biliary colic all along. I'm now on 40 mg PPI which is helping neutralise the acid but I still have a dull heartburn like pain in my upper back which won't go away.

It's frustrating and Ive been in bouts of tears the past few days. It feels like a never ending nightmare so I understand how u feel a day what u must be going through. I'm going to try eliminate dairy and see if that helps.

• Posted

I am so glad I just read your post. Had my gallbladder removed in April and stayed on a low fat diet for 8 weeks before slowly introducing other foods. Everything was fine until June when I had an episode of pain that started in my back, immediately radiated through my chest, and nausea. I was on a plane about to take off, so the immediately took me off the plane. I began vomiting and the pain in my chest was terrible. I was transported to ER where they admitted me as I had another episode worse than the first and they thought it was cardiac issues. After 2 days in hospital I was released and they had no clue. I have been having these episodes every 5 - 7 weeks. I've had an esophageal manometer and endoscopy - they found gastritis. Prescribed Protonix 40/mg twice a day, 300mg Zantac at bedtime and Zoloft as they discovered when these happen it is triggering a panic attack. Finally had another test last week and have been diagnosed with esophageal motility disorder (acute spasms). We cannot find a trigger of any type of food drink. Have now put me on medication to help prevent this. Fingers crossed that it works.
    • Posted

Did you ever get better? I had mine out 22 months ago. Was fine for over 2 months. Then the sick feeling began and have been that way 95% of the time since.

Please tell me you got better.

• Posted

Also sleep on a wedge to keep your head above your stomach . When laying flat (GERD) acid reflux can back up to the throat and cause more serious problems. They are available online or a hospital supply store. Also truly pillows or sit in a lounge chair to keep your head up. Take the meds for acid reflux and there are also many OTC MEDS for this as well. 

It does sounds like you have a serious case and I went thru the same issues after trying meds and proper diet no fatty foods. Etc. the bed wedge finally worked. After a few months the valve repaired itself with meds and diet. 

Now I can sleep without my head up and it was worth the many struggles finding what works for me. 

Take care confused

• Posted

Since having my gall bladder put I developed asthma like symptoms. Swelling of nasal airway and chest tightness and congestion. Was almost impossible to leave the house as was hard to breathe. Didn't know what was wrong for almost a year and had all these tests, but since an taking omepresole 20mg daily my symptoms are almost gone. But am worried about being on it long term. I don't ever have any heart burn was only breathing problems. Has anyone else had this post gall bladder op?

• Posted

Hi Kathy, yes immediately after my gb removal it was harder for me to breathe like I had to make an effort. Asthma inhaler doesn't do anything. I think it's LPR. Refluxing to mouth, lungs, etc. going to have tests done and hopefully find a solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.