Acid reflux and oesophagitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

For some months I have been suffering from heartburn and was put on a PPI medication. Then it seemed to improve and I stopped. About a month ago I choked badly on a capsule ( a supplement), which really strained my throat. About two weeks ago I dosed myself with Melfen for a very bad back - I knew I wasn't supposed to take an antiinflammatory, but I was desperate. Since the latter two incidences I have a constant feeling of food sticking in my throat. Last week I had a nasal scope which showed my larynx was fine but I had an area of oesophagitis at the top of my oesophagus. I was told to take 40 mg of PPI meds twice a day for 6 weeks. Unfortunately that backfired as it gave me a bad headache and painful bloating, so I'm down to 20mg twice a day. Of course there's also the acid reflux diet aspect, which I'm adhering to as best as I can (I normally ate very healthily), but I'm uncertain as to if one can use a bit of oil when grilling fish. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hey! did your acid reflux cause upper abdominal discomfort? I've been on medications for quite some time now and I'm still having that dull ache below my ribs and it just doesn't seem to go away.

I experience heartburn but not always.

currently on pantoprazole 40mg daily.

I'm starting to worry about what it could be as it's been over three months now

• Posted

Hi, you might find this reassuring because I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm / nerves related as well. I have had this very same symptoms often (I'm 22), even very bitter, acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have them and I focus on them for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having them, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. If this works then you should see an immediate pattern between the way you think (discouraged, negative, anxious) with the level of discomfort you're experiencing physically, especially if you consciously focus/ ruminate on it too much. This made the symptoms go away completely for me as it seems that your brain is inducing either muscles spasms in muscles or it triggers the nerves around that side of your body that produces the sensations that you're describing. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you body becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way if necessary, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

• Posted

yogurt helped me a lot to reduce the acid reflux. I take it regularly after meal and it helped me a lot. worth a try!

• Posted

I will try yoghurt. Any particular type you use?

OP, any feedback now on your symptoms after trying yoghurt?

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.