Acid reflux attack and black stools followed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m really worried as had an acid reflux attack for the first time in many years 2 nights ago. It was horrible and I coughed and spluttered for some time before going back to sleep. I was told I crackled for some time afterwards and I believe it was my lungs but can’t be sure.

The  next morning I noticed black stringy bits on the tissue I had coughed into and am worried what they could be.  More worrying was 24 hours later I passed black stools which is scary.  I don’t have any pain or discomfort and am seeing my GP tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,  I am glad you are going to your doctor to get to the bottom of it.   Often times we fear the worst when in truth it is something minor or nothing at all.  The coughing up black could be many things, and the black stool while very scary could be something you ate......but you are very wise to get it checked over.  Please keep us posted how you are doing.
    • Posted

It’s nothing I ate, the Dr thinks it’s from combination of the gastritis, reflux and hernia and  unless something more drastic happens in the meantime I am now awaiting an appointment to see a gastro  consultant and an endoscopy.
    • Posted

Okay good, glad they are looking further into it, but sounds reassuring that it isn't anything serious.  I hope you get your appointment and test done quickly so you have peace of mind.

• Posted

It’s so scary when something like this happens, let’s hope it’s the last of it.
  • Posted

24 hours later black stools still present, am thinking I may be admitted to hospital.  Should know in a couple of hours when see my GP
  • Posted

Oh I am so sorry to hear this, but hopefully they can keep you in and do all the neccessary testing.  So glad you are being proactive.
    • Posted

I wasn’t sent to hospital but have been told if I start vomiting or have stomach pains to go to A and E
  • Posted

I’m pleased to say things looking a bit more normal this morning, let’s hope it’s on the mend..
    • Posted

HAving an endoscopy in a few days time so hopefully I will get to find out what the cause of it was.n
    • Posted

Are you still getting black stools?  I will be curious to see what the report says.  Are you feeling any better?
  • Posted

Yay!   Hopefully it stays that way......maybe just a flare up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.