Acid Reflux cause Lung damage?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just googled it and it turns out it can. The acid can be inhaled into the lungs and cause aspiration pneumonia or asthma symptoms. Chronic acid reflux into lungs may eventually cause permanent lung damage called pulmonary fibrosis. I don't know if I have acid reflux but I sometimes cough right after eating and clear my throat alot. My throat feels irritated and sore. Cough with phlegm. Now I've been noticing I get a sharp pain in my throat. Like a sharp stabbing severe pain. It happens a couple times like 4 at the most. One night a throat tickle I wanted to scratch it was inside my throat. I started coughing I felt I couldn't breathe. I tried to calm myself and a while later it went away. I've been sleeping alot don't know why. I just get up to eat and go back to sleep. I don't feel sad though it's just refreshing to sleep I feel I haven't slept in a long time. I'm tired and can't stay awake that much anymore. I only think about sleeping. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks👍

If I have acid reflux will it damage my voice or throat. It feels like it. I keep clearing my throat. My throat hurts while this happens.sad I wouldn't take pills for it I've heard on the TV. Proton pump inhibitors give you a increase risk of getting kidney disease. They have a lawsuit against one. They also mentioned Nexium couldn't read the rest. Prilosec was the one they were talking about. Stay safe always search before taking something. 👍

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My acid reflux was caused by fasting. My doctor told me "not eating can cause the acid to build up." I've also had heartburn when I hadn't even eated anything. I drink soda and I eat alot of fast food. Just once a day  i eat that though. I don't drink any water. I'm 25 years old now. I want to quit soda but can't find tasty alternatives. I want to quit the unhealthy food too. The only good thing is my fast metabolism. Even eating that I'm still slim.sad I don't gain weight. Well I do but not that much. Just 5 pounds. But not more. I want too exercise. Start taking care of myself. I'm a little late but nows the right time. But I always procrastinate. Any advice on this issue can help too. Thank you💖

• Posted

I take PPI meds you have to thing about it do you want cancer if the gullet? Because if you font try to stop damage to your gullet and throat it can happen 
    • Posted

Really? I didn't know that but I know proton pump inhibitors increase the risk of kidney disease. I dont know what to do. Maybe I will try natural home remedies then.

• Posted

Yes this is a problem acid reflux can most def damage the lungs over time , And cause the exact symptoms you describe , i live with this problem daily , I take omeprozol and eat

tums like candy , 

I constantly due that cough thing after eating and get burning chest pains , and the throat clearing thing also , it's a constant battle I fight on a daily basis , 

As I said your NOT alone . 

• Posted

Thank you Greg you are not alone either🙏

• Posted

I'm telling you all. For the clearing of the throat the 2 tsp apple cider vinegar helps tremendously. Give it a few days and notice how it helps cut tht horrendous phglm. It really helped me. I put it in a cup of water and drink every morning..NOT AT NIGHT!! Just a Lil thought for ya..hope ya find something tht helps..

• Posted

Thanks for the advice I will try that.👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.