Acid Reflux caused by exercising

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been a very active person all my life. I'm in my early 40's and eat and drink sensibly. However over the last year or so I've been affected by an acid reflux problem. I originally went to the doctor and have also seen a consultant. I was prescribed Omeprazole and the consultant drew a blank and certified me as having an irritable stomach. As the Omeprazole has no effect I decided to try various things. I kept a food/drink diary and cut out various things then tried them again etc. Nothing eased the condition. Then it suddenly clicked that the link was my exercising. I used to run many miles, play football and cycle. By looking at this I found that approximately 36 hours after a more demanding form of physical exercise I felt the sickness feeling. Sometimes this just goes away after a few hours or it culminates in me being sick or bringing up a lot of stomach acid. I do note that gentle exercise such as walking does not bring on this condition. I have recently taken a sabbatical from physically demanding exercise and have not had any acid reflux so I am as certain as I can be that this is the cause. This week I tried to get back into my fitness and you've guessed it, right back to square one! Now I know you are probably thinking the simple solution is just to keep to gentle exercise but I really enjoy running and cycling so it is a big part of my life to give up. But the sickness feeling really affects my day so perhaps I will have to compromise. I just thought I would post my experience in case this sounds familiar to you. I have searched all over the net for similar experiences but not been successful so if you do have any suggestions please feel free to post. Best regards, Rob

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I suggest that your acid reflux could be due to muscular issues rather than excess production of acid.

I posted here a while ago with some thoughts in that direction. Maybe worth your while reading that post?

\"Thoughts on Reflux and Hiatus Hernia\" 20 January 2009.

Of course, my suggestion there might well not apply but might just trigger some other thoughts in your mind?

Rod

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. That certainly is something different I hadn't considered.

The vinegar solution I have read about before. I have tried it but it made me throw up right away rather unfortunately. But I have read it works for some people.

I'll see if my blood was checked for thyroid issues tomorrow and if not I'll definitely consider that.

regards

rob

• Posted

Well I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to do anything that harmed them or made them unwell.

But it does seem that you have taken the main thrust of the message - and don't get too hung up on thyroid, there may be other reasons for muscular weakness. (I *am* hung up on thyroid and see its problems everywhere I look!)

All the best

Rod

• Posted

Just a follow up. Since finding nothing wrong with my blood tests, B12 tests etc I thought I was back to square one. However I have always been someone who hasn't needed much to drink and not felt thirsty. But it seems I do need it!! Therefore I have made a conscious effort to drink all the time, mainly water. This has had a remarkable effect. I have been able to go for ages without that sickness feeling. I still get the odd day but it is much less severe and can be linked to being dehydrated. It's hard for me to keep up the drinking but it has definitely improved my own situation. It would tie in with the feeling of reflux after exercise as that would make me more dehydrated. Worth a try if you experience the same as me.
  • Posted

Try a Salad only dinner diet. It could help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.