Acid Reflux & Chronic Stomach Pain & Vomiting Symptoms ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My daughter has been diagnosed with really bad acid reflux & oesophagitis.

She has been prescribed strong medication for 30 days - if symptoms don't improve she will need surgery.

My question is - does anyone suffer from really bad stomach pains and vomiting ? She doesn't seem to have the usual symptoms of heartburn or a burning sensation in the throat. All her symptoms seem to be stomach related ? 

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Reflux comes in two main types active and passive. Passive is when you will not experience any heart burn, which is typically thought of when one thinks of reflux. I would personally be very careful deciding on surgery. I would find a doctor who specializes in reflux and even the stomach.
  • Posted

I don't have classic heartburn or vomiting which is why mine took a long time to be diagnosed. Tonight I had really bad stomach pains due to something I ate, took a PPI and 30mins later all gone.

There are pros and cons of having surgery, as others have said I would see a gastroentologist first and get their opinion. In the UK that is the typical route and then the gastro will refer you to a general surgeon if you need surgery. I am managing mine with PPI as I am not bothered by all the scare stories around PPI's and if there were as bad as everyone claims NICE would not approve them for use.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments - my daughter is 13 and has suffered with these problems for 4+ years. She has had an endoscopy which diagnosed the chronic oesophagitis and a couple of ph studies which diagnosed the serious acid reflux.

Her paediatric gastroenterologist has diagnosed all the above points.

Her main symptoms present as stomach pains and vomiting.

• Posted

Hi all, just want to ask... Has the Dr ordered a blood test to check for celiac (Coeliac) Disease? Please insist on it. Vomiting isn't a normal symptom but some children do vomit from it. It's very hard to diagnos. I suffered with many different symptoms for over 40 yrs before an endoscopy revealed incredible damage in my sm intestine. Many Drs aren't very knowledgable abt it. 
  • Posted

Had coeliac gene test & all negative.

Had a calprotectin test which came back at 132 but doctor said that's okay too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.