Acid Reflux - Dropping Acid book

Posted , 6 users are following.

Evening everyone.These last few days have been a nightmare as I am constantly getting an acid feeling in my stomach and throat.Now I have had to add Gaviscon back to my meds of Lans.. and Ritti.. to get me through the day and night.Constantly trying to improve on my condition I decided to buy the Drop Acid book. Given it only arrived yesterday its not for me to say whether its worth buying or not but at the moment I am if I am honest a little disappointed.I am disappointed because its clearly written for an american audience and their diet seems to be different to ours. What I mean by that is that there is no reference to sweets and desserts etc. But I am definitely going to try and use the advice given in it as I am so fed up with feeling like I am.

Even cycling today was a nightmare.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Ted I had this problem for years. I found taking Milk Thistle, (bought from my local Superdrug store) worked instantly for me. After taking it for three months I only need it maybe twice a year if that. Milk Thistle is mainly thought to be good for the liver a good by product... But I have no more burning or regurging now.
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Gillian and I will certainly be going down to my local supermarket later to buy some. What's also interesting when this all began I had an ultrasound and was told I had a fatty liver eben though I have bee teetotal for years. So I wonder if the two tie in. Regards Ted
    • Posted

hi ted, a fatty liveris a pretty common thing and usually not harmful. It happens to non alcoholics as well, then it's called non alcoholic fatty liver. It usually doesn't cause acid reflux/gerd or any symptoms. 
  • Posted

How much Lans are you taking? I suspect you can increase it and see if that helps. I sometimes increase from 30mg a day to 45mg to settle me down. I take 30mg in the morning and then a 15mg later in the day.

• Posted

wknight i am on 30mg each morning and then 300mg Ranitidine before going to bed.But now I am having to top that up with a dose of Gaviscon uring the day.

Reading the book is frightening because it describes the acid as being the sea and pepsin molecules as lobsters which washes up your throat and whilst the sea ebbs it leaves the lobsters clinging to your throat ready to do further damage. What is so worrying is that my GP as described my illness as " just one of those things you can get at your age " .

Its very worrying as it seems to me that your left in the arms of destiny as to whether you end up with cancer as there is no way it can be detected prior to it developing.Ted

• Posted

Instead of topping up with Gaviscon talk to your GP about taking additional PPI during the day.

I had acid reflux for 20 yrs before I was diagnosed. It use to cause me constant throat problems. Last year I had another endoscopy and I was fine after 20yrs of PPI, despite 20yrs of damage and I think the PPI has helped as it is known to heal.

• Posted

I read an article in N.H.S. choices One study looked at the risk of fractures in a large cohort of 130,487 post-menopausal women over a follow-up period of 7.8 years. They found that women who were taking PPIs had a modestly increased risk of fractures of the spine, lower arm and overall fractures compared to women who had not been taking the drug (Hazard ratio [HR] 1.24, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.15 to 1.36).

so I would recomend Milk Thistle as it worked so well for me. 

• Posted

I run a higher risk of being involved in an accident on the road, but that doesn't stop me driving.

There is no way I am stopping taking the PPI unless something is a certainty, not a small possibility. If I did that I wouldn't eat or do anything.

• Posted

Thank you that's a fair and interesting comment Ted
    • Posted

I was just offering an alternative that can have health benefits. I suffered for ten years before taking Milk Thistle, (it may have been Milk Thistle complex) and I have been fine for three years. I was not telling you to stop your PPI.

• Posted

Hi Gillian, it's great that you found something to help you!

milk thistle didn't help me at all, I took it for about 2 months and then stopped taking it becuae it didn't work. I have also read that it interferes with estrogen levels in the body, so it shouldn't be taken for a long time. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear it didn't help you.

experimenting on myself I found one tablet worked for a day, two for a week and three for a month. After three months of three tablets, I only needed them on Social engagements where I drank too much alcohol. I haven't had problems for years. I feel for anyone suffering. Others are taking licorice, (not the black stuff). Might be worth looking into their threads, if you are still suffering. I had trouble that as soon as I finished a prescription my problems reoccurred. 

We are all different .

• Posted

Thanks Gillian! Well i was diagnosed with gastritis due to hpylori and silent reflux. I have taken antibiotics for the hpylori and PPI. In fact I have weaned off on half the dosage of PPI (luckily without any rebound) and planning to wean off the other half in the coming month. I do feel much better than I was actually. I also don't have any night time reflux issues. When I wake up in the morning, I am perfectly fine. I can even sleep without a wedge and still be fine. It's only after I wake up that I have some throat issues. Most of the natural supplements didn't work for me, nor did diet. I can eat anything I like, like tomatoes for a meal and potatoes for another and still feel the same for both. So just trying to find a solution for my throat issues now. 
    • Posted

Solution for your throat problem ....... stay on the PPI  and I suspect your problems will go away.

My throat problems went away once I had been on the PPI for a while

Heard something interesting on the radio today, we are all sitting down for far too long which is increasing our risk of cancer... does that now mean you stand up all the time?

• Posted

Haha..very true! There is good and bad in everything, and too much of anything is always bad! (more than half the offices around the world will have to start finding standing workstations so everyone can stand and work and reduce the risk of cancer!)

My throat is much better and I think other than a bit of post nasal drip, everything else is almost gone. I did a cabbage juice trwatment for 6 days (to also help heal the gastritis, which is coming down as well, though not completely cured!)I weaned off from 40mg rabeprazole a day to 20mg nexium (a day) a month back (as per doc advise) and doing fine. I need to wean off the meds and hopefully not have reflux as I want to get pregnant and really dont want to be on meds unless otherwise essential. I have been pretty much healthy all my life except the last 5 months. So hoping things would continue this way. Fingers crossed., 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.