Acid Reflux: Experiences with Different PPIs/H2 Blockers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, while I understand PPIs have many downsides, they also provide a good amount of relief from acid reflux. I limit my use to about once or twice a day.

There are so many different options out there omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantaprozole, etc... So wanted to see from those that use PPIs or H2 blockers they had the best experience with or found most effective. Here is my experience:

Omeprazole - good, but not as effective, caused a bit of nausea for some reason

Esomeprazole - caused major bloating

Lansoprazole - not too effective from my experience as doesnt give immediate relief

Pantaprazole - same as lansoprazole and requires taking several days in a row to have an effect or requires a higher does

Rabeprazole - found this to be the most effective particularly for one time use at a lower does, however does also cause minor bloating

Dexlansoprazole - caused stomach pain

H2 blocker (famotidine,nitazidine) - very effective for immediate effect, but causes a strong rebound and the next day the acid reflux is even stronger

What are your experiences with PPIs/H2 blockers?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

I was first prescribed Omeprazole 15 years ago and have been on them pretty much ever since then. Some time ago I didn't think they seemed to be as effective as they used to be, so I bought some Esomeprazole and sometimes alternate them. I would really like to know if one PPI is better than another, or are we just automatically prescribed Omeprazole because it is the cheapest option? Have to say I don't like taking them at all because of the problems they can cause and it isn't very reassuring that doctors only seem to prescribe them for 28 days and don't recommend long term use unless absolutely essential.

As far as I know the H2 blockers are still unavailable due to the scare a few years ago, which is a shame because I felt they were a safer option than the PPI's.

Today I saw an advertisement for a product called Silicolgel which has some good reviews for acid reflux etc and I am thinking about trying this. Problem is I am not very good at swallowing things that taste horrible.

• Posted

I (60 M at the time) was on Omeprazole (PPI) for 15 years and got worried about osteoporosis after reading some medical articles. Sure enough I was slightly osteoporotic after getting a dexascan. (My primary insisted I didn't need one since I was "male and too young" but wrote the script anyway).

I switched to pepcid (H2 blocker) for a couple of years and finally just bit the bullet and stopped eating a full dinner every day. This dietary adjustment was the best decision and I wish I had done it 15 years before.

BTW all PPIs can give you osteoporosis. H2 blockers don't do that but have their own issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.