Acid reflux-Gerd

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wanted to post my experience in case this helps anyone. I had been treated for acid reflux for almost 3 years by a Gastro doc with prescribed different combinations of meds. pantapazole or omeprazole or pepcid. I never did an endoscope but my doctor did do a barium ultrasound and didnt see any reason for the endoscope. one day I was double over with stomach pains and I went to my regular doctor which order an abdominal ultrasound. results were I had a bowel obstruction. my doctor prescribed over the counter miralax. I took this for 7 days and it helped greatly. after the 7 days I stopped the miralax and noticed my acid reflux symptoms came back as well. i called my doctor and asked her if it was ok for me to continue to take miralax daily and she said it was fine since it worked with the water in the body. since then I have not had acid reflux episode. I am not telling anyone to stop taking their acid reflux meds but just wanted to tell my story. please see your doctor and discuss. this also explains why I could never list my trigger foods. I avioded the typical fried greasy sodas. I kept a list of my trigger foods but they were never consistent. one day a salad would set it off I would say ok maybe the dressing. i go to the gym and healthy so it wasnt an over weight situation. however if I miss one day of miralax I do notice the difference the following day. maybe a combination of me not being open with the doctor and the doctor not asking the right questions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

omeprazole is what I'm taking for my recent wave of f**** peri-menopause. I take it till my "other symptoms" subside, meaning the wave is now over. Thank you for your input. My doctor's looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I have ACID REFLUX with my hot flashes, headaches... Like STOMACH issues don't coincide with peri-menopause. YES THEY DO !! I will keep your suggestion on my list. My system has slowed down and I feel constipated, though I don't needs meds for it yet, interesting that it helps with Acid Reflux.

• Posted

To be honest. I had acid reflux symptoms (bloated, burning in my stomach, excessive saliva, nausea which in most cases turned in to me regurgitating my food because it would just come up) but I feel a result of my constipation but I never thought the two would be connected. I currently dont not have the burning or nausea feeling. I cant sleep flat I still sleep on two pillows but I am not miserable.

• Posted

Is it also used for reflux? I occasionally get constipation but not regularly and wouldn't want to give myself diarrhea by trying them. But if they are used for reflux I may give them a go because I get bruxism from PPIs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.