Acid reflux getting worse

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone

Last year I was diagnosed with disfunctional dyspepsia and the year before that I was told I had IBS although tablets I was given for the IBS didn't really improve much so I stopped taking them. The problem is this, my acid reflux and gut problems are getting worse and are affecting my psychologically.

Originally for the acid I was prescribed 30mg of Lansoprozole once a day and although it did improve my symptoms I didn't feel 100%. I had an endoscopy and the doctor said everything looked normal (his suggestion was to ignore the symptoms!?!?) and so I remained on the Lansoprozole and after a few months they lowered my dosage to 15mg a day, to take another if I felt I needed to. So I try to keep to 15mg a day but this doesn't really work.

Today I didn't take one first thing like I usually do as I stayed away last night and this afternoon I've felt terrible. My insides from the stomach down just burn its like they're on fire!

I'm stuck as to what to do now. I'm only 22 and feel like my life is just being ruined by this stupid 'disease'. I can't eat the foods I like, drinking alcohol is a no go and now even non-suspect foods set me off. I'm fed up of feeling ill constantly and now get in such a flap about it all. Sometimes I panic and my throat just seems to close up.

Is it worth going back to the doctor? I just get the impression they'd rather just throw some drugs in your face rather than get to the bottom of things. But feeling ill is getting me down and I'm turning into a hypochondriac!

Does anyone know what to suggest or also have these symptoms? Sorry for the essay! Thanks for any help

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thankyou Helen, have made a note will go to holland and barrett next week. Had problem signing in kept saying wrong e-mail, did it about 6 times.
  • Posted

Hi osbourne, you should find what you want at h and b , yes all this signing in and out of different sites with different passwords , tell me about it , oh dear , many senior moments there

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Just Fix Me. Have you made any progress, I do hope so as this is a very troublesome condition and nothing seems to help. Gps give meds that help very little at times. At last I seem to be winning by taking advice from non medical people Unfortunately drs appear to have been relying on medication and a failed colostomy. took others to advice on Lactose Free which has lead to big improvement. Gastroenterology can forget about littletablets to help me cope (which I turned down)Never though Lactose could cause big problems, its unbelievable the improvement. Early days.Take care.
  • Posted

Helen 40, Hi seem to have lactose in the tabs you mentioned at hollan and barrats. A lot of the time am ok on lactose free. now ad again get buring sensation in abd., and little on tongue and mouth, but much improved minus meds. Apples trigger me which seems odd.Wonder how others managing.
  • Posted

Hi Osbourne , sorry tabs have lactose in them , you could try googling for further info on similar tabs as there may be lacose free available , have you tried slippery elm , try the powder to mix into a drink or porridge , i m much better on oat type cereals, bowels and tum much improved , have had some sucess with colpermin also , though i know this does not suit everyone , but helped emormously with tummy pain /acid etc , i only take one when i need to , if i have problems after eating , i take one and usually get quick releifwith any symptoms Pleased you are making some progress though , it will be a slow job , and no two days are the same are they , are you managing regulare exercize ? , how are you sleeping ? , and has meditation or a guided relaxation been tried There is an excellent book i can recommend breathing free , try ebay or amazon , very interesting and may be valuable , as many of us do not breathe properley , and further pain exaccerbated by poor circulation and incorrect breathing

Looking forward to hearing from you

Best wishes Helen

• Posted

Hi, Heaps improved on soya and Lactose free. Do get a little burning sensation in abdomen. At times just a little in mouth only. Not really concerned after previous pain. Dared to request lactose free test. wow that sure brought a bad reaction. Ah well. Just needed to say not needed. Never had advice at all just tabs, mint, mebeverine etc.,but no advice. Not required now as got the picture. Early days . Get plenty exerciseBetter away to bed as up early. .
  • Posted

Strangely enough, having too little stomach acid can cause heartburn and acid reflux. If you suffer from having too little stomach acid, drinking apple cider vinegar can make up for the lack of acid. This natural acid reflux treatment should be considered by people over the age of 40 when too little stomach acid production can begin to become a problem. Studies have shown that up to 50% of people over the age of 40 may suffer from too little stomach acid.
  • Posted

Hello just fix me 

first, I'm no Doctor so please know this is my own personal experience with GERD or acid reflux. After 2 gallbladder surgeries my indigestion was pretty unbearable. I tried OTC meds to no avail. Homeopathy has always worked for me so I read Nat Phos 6x could help. I tried it religiously until I saw good results. It took a few months taking it everyday and then occasionally when I ate something that upset my gut. Now after 2 years I take it so infrequently- I just don't have this problem anymore. I wish you well. 

PS. In the beginning you can take 4 every hour if needed. You can't overdose on this and it actually helps heal the problem.

• Posted

Hi i am actually 24, i have pains too so bad .

I feel like my throat is tight too. And feel like i cant swallow sometimes. It can cause me to have panic attacks .

Go to the drs and iv been on tablets im not a great believer in taking tablets . Iv been trying to do research and read a book what i am waiting to come through called dropping acid ...

iv always thought that i eat generally healthy comlared to most people.

Recently iv tryed to cut down on diary tryed soya milk and just eatting lean meats turkey and chicken.

still gettin pains but not as bad . Hope it helps x

• Posted

Hello again 

im sorry your having so much trouble with this. I too don't like taking tablets but with the homeopathic remedies they work quite differently not just masking but actually facilitating healing. The Nat phos was my last resort. I've been amazed at the results. I also drink a fair bit of water which also helps. Maybe do some research on it and see what you feel about it. Traditional doctors unless Homeopaths will not go this route.. I wish your ell!

• Posted

Hi, have you had a positive outlook on this now?

Over a year ago, I may be not get a response.

But there's so many of us that experience your exact symptoms.

I've pushed my doctor for further tests and didn't want to be fobbed off with just different medication. Like I have already, currently trying 3rd different type.

Currently now waiting on blood tests and referral for scans, mainly due to flagged symptoms ie difficulty in swallowing.

If I get any response from this thread I'll happily keep any1 updated.

Chrissy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.