Acid reflux, Heartburn

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to hear from those of you with Achalasia, who have had the Heller Myotomy, Fundoplication, Balloon Dilation, etc., who are having issues with acid.  Quite a number of months ago, there was a discussion re: PPIs [I think that is what they are called], the prescribed drugs for acid.  The discussion was the pros and cons of taking prescribed drugs.  Alan, if you can direct me toward this information, I would appreciate this, and I'm sure others will as well.  I'm trying both Zantac and Gaviscon, at the moment [over the counter], but they are really not that effective.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My consultant tried me on Nifedipine 5mg caps, one every eight hours when required but they didn't help.

• Posted

K84461,

You're right! Nitrates and calcium channel blockers seldom do. They can at times help one with stage 1 Alchalasia and those who experience esophageal spasms a lot. I take sublingual nitro when I have a bad spasam and it feels like chest pain and radiates to my jaw and teeth. They will usually stop the spasm within minuets. Hope you're feeling better! :-)

DJRN

• Posted

My husband has nitrates for his heart attack. Is it the same me since ? He told me that he get a instant headache do you experience this?
    • Posted

YES!! Major headache with nitroglycerin. Everyone experiences that. It should go away after 10 or 15 min. That's on way of making sure your nitrate tablets haven't expired

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.